News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sweet20] d20 Keys

Started by BWA, August 26, 2006, 12:29:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWA

Clinton,

My D&D group is just getting back together this week after a long hiatus, and we were all super excited to use the version of Keys you worked out for d20. But, sadly, I noticed this morning that that particular web page has vanished.

I hope this is merely a temporary thing. If not, and the page is down for good, is there a chance you could email me the information or point me elsewhere online? I have TSOY, so I suppose I could re-create the Keys, but it was awesome to have access to your original work online.

Brian M.

ps - I hope this is a good place to post this....

Brian Minter
Bears Will Attack

Clinton R. Nixon

It's vanished, and I don't plan to have it online any time again. It was a thought experiment I did, and people latched on and used it, which is great, but it wasn't really for public consumption. The rules were the same as in TSOY, except you needed 13 XP to go up a level. I also made it that when you did whatever the buyoff was, you either bought it off and got 10 XP or didn't buy it off and lost 2 XP, because I felt like that was more in the spirit of d20, but I'm not sure any more.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Chris Peterson

I have a mirror of Clinton's Sweet20 page here: http://www.lawfulneutral.com/sweet20/ . But if he really doesn't want Sweet20 in the wild, I can take it down..
chris

BWA

Thanks, guys. Clinton, I can understand if you're not into having it online anymore, although my group is pretty excited about using those rules for our game, so I'm going to copy Chris's page and print a few copies out.

Once we've got a few games under our belt using d20 Keys I'll be happy to post an Actual Play describing our experiences.

Brian Minter
Bears Will Attack

ffilz

You may want to read this thread where I talk about my brush with Sweet20 (there may be some other threads also, that was over a year ago...).

I think it does have potential, however, you need to consider what you are trying to do. If you are trying to use D&D for narativist play, and you and your players are fully on board with that, it may work well (also consider Ron's thread(s) on D&D 3.0/3/.5).

If you are basically playing gamist like I was, Sweet20 will really clash. It will also clash if the players don't have the ability to push things towards satisfying their keys, and you as GM don't push their keys also.

Frank
Frank Filz

BWA

Thanks for the advice, Frank, and for linking to that thread. I hadn't seen it before. I think it was a useful read for me/

I wouldn't say that my group is trying to wrench D&D around to Narrativist play. If anything, I think myself and my two primary players all have different agendas in terms of GNS stuff. But it's a small group, and we've all been close friends for a hundred years, so we have pretty well-developed (although not explicit) ways of accomodating one another when we play.

We like D&D, we don't have the problems that many people have with the game. But we also don't do much kill-the-monsters-and-take-their-stuff playing, so I think the Sweet20 system might be make our game more fun. We'll see. We're getting together this week to generate characters and do a little group camapign creation.

Quote from: ffilz on September 01, 2006, 12:09:21 PMIf you are basically playing gamist like I was, Sweet20 will really clash. It will also clash if the players don't have the ability to push things towards satisfying their keys, and you as GM don't push their keys also.

That's a good thing to keep in mind. As I said, we're a pretty highly-functional group in social terms, and everyone is looking forward to creating characters whose Keys will work together, or even overlap. But I suspect I will have to stay on my toes to make sure different keys come up in play the way the players want them to. Plus, we'll probably start out with characters above first level, with two or three keys apiece.

Also, I think for our first session we've decided to award everyone an automatic level-up at the end, and then discuss how well the XP awards went. So a player won't be penalized if they amass significantly less (or more) XP than the others.

Brian Minter
Bears Will Attack

BWA

Also, I notice that the "official" Sweet20 Experience page is back online. Awesome.

Although, Clinton,  I hope you didn't feel pushed into re-posting it due to the ignorant clamor of teeming throngs.

Brian Minter
Bears Will Attack