News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Spirit of the Century

Started by Baraestes, September 04, 2006, 09:59:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baraestes

Just got the PDF, and spent a fair bit of time reading through it.

The first word to come to mind is wow.  Or perhaps Wow!!!

My main interest is in Sword and Sorcery type situations, and science fiction, but this really looks good for Pulp action.

I'm hoping to try out the pickup system over on #indierpgs soon, after another run through the rules.

Darren Hill

I won't have time to read it properly till Wednesday at the earliest, but from what I've read so far, I agree.
Wow!

The inspirations/bibliography section immediately made me think of running a Doc Smith/Lensman style game in it. Classic space opera certainly shares some of the same Pulp feel.

iago

Right on, folks.  Pulp doesn't have to be locked into "the past" -- and the Star Wars movies are most definitely pulp on sci-fi steroids.

Thanks for the feedback, and keep it comin'!

Chris Peterson

And Conan was the original pulp fantasy warrior! :-)
chris

Baraestes

It was interesting to me that I was thinking along some of the same lines when I saw Chris' post.  Now that I've seen Fate 3.0 I think I could run a S&S game with just some very minor flavor changes. But I love the background for the Centurions, enough to try and run a few sessions at least of "two-fisted adventurer" style pulp stuff.

I love especially the changes to the way aspects relate to fate points.

iago

See, though, this is what I've been meaning when I've told people they don't need to love all of pulp, or even our setting-take on pulp, in order for Spirit of the Century to be entirely applicable for them.  It's not only heavily hackable, you can also "drag and drop" new settings onto it with very little trauma.  It's a solid little cinematic engine, if I do say so myself.

Darren Hill

I have to disagree strongly with you, Fred.

There's nothing 'little' about it! ;)

iago

Quote from: Darren Hill on September 06, 2006, 12:04:11 PM
I have to disagree strongly with you, Fred.

There's nothing 'little' about it! ;)

Oh, I don't know -- the true core of it is probably covered inside of 60 pages.  It's just that we elaborate on that a *lot*.

Chris Peterson

I prefer fantasy over modern settings, but I really liked the earlier versions of FATE. This thread convinced me that Spirit of the Century was more than "just pulp" and I ordered my hardcover book last night! :)
chris

iago

Quote from: Chris Peterson on September 07, 2006, 12:58:50 PM
I prefer fantasy over modern settings, but I really liked the earlier versions of FATE. This thread convinced me that Spirit of the Century was more than "just pulp" and I ordered my hardcover book last night! :)

Much appreciated.  Let us know what you think -- better yet, let other people know what you think!