News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Burning Empires and Missing Man Play?

Started by David Artman, January 17, 2008, 04:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Artman

Our group is pondering running Burning Empires, but we (well, I) have a concern:

There is a fair-to-middling chance that one or two folks (in a four- to six-person group) might occasionally miss a weekly session. From my admittedly incomplete reading of the rules, it seems like BE characters are very integral to play, being such movers and shakers on the galactic stage. As such, I worry that it will be hard-to-impossible to play a session when there's a missing (wo)man.

Is this the case?
Is this partially the case, and folks know some techniques to manage it?
Is this pointless fretting, as an individual PC can painless come or go from scene-to-scene, let alone session-to-session?

Thanks!
David
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages

Per Fischer

Hi David,

This forum has been very quite for a while - all the action happens at the excellent Burning Wheel forums, where you should ask your questions. Loads of people there with BE playing experience, and Luke will pop in as well:

http://burningwheel.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12

FWIW, if you're playing through a maneuver in each session, then it should be possible to leave out a player - the remaining players will set the goal and play it to conclusion - in the big picture, Disposition is independent of this as well, as the most prominent character in the maneuver rolls for it at the end of each maneuver. I haven't heard of anyone trying it, though.

Per
Per
--------
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

David Artman

*sigh* Just want I need... another gaming forum membership.

I suppose this Forge thread is closed, now that I have made this thread:
http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/showthread.php?t=5390

And, hell... if this is such a slow/dead forum... maybe it's time it went Inactive, with a final Sticky post to point wayward folks like me to the BW/BE forums?
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages