News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

CoS Modern?

Started by urbwar, September 07, 2006, 10:47:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

urbwar

Has anyone ever used CoS for a modern conspiracy game? I was thinking the other day it would be fairly easy to do. You just need to whip up weapon stats for modern firearms and such
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Keith Senkowski

I have not done it my man, but it would be smoke'n easy to do.  Things I would adjust:

Piety = Morality/Ethics
I'd do this just because modern society is less concerned about religion and more about general morality.

Ethnicity = Upbringing
It generalizes this and keeps you from stating the obvious of such things as Pole = Asshole.

Weapons
This is easy.  Weapons are anything that gives you an edge, and it would be simple to add something like .357 Magnum or some shit.

Other than that, everything is already pretty general enough that you can port it to a modern context and run say Delta Green where you are actually doomed agents, opposed to guys who have a 60% chance of finding stupid fucking clues...

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel

urbwar

Quote from: Keith Senkowski on September 07, 2006, 11:16:29 AM
I have not done it my man, but it would be smoke'n easy to do.  Things I would adjust:

Piety = Morality/Ethics
I'd do this just because modern society is less concerned about religion and more about general morality.

Makes sense

Ethnicity = Upbringing
It generalizes this and keeps you from stating the obvious of such things as Pole = Asshole.

To be honest, I wanted to remove Ethnicity all together. It's not bad, but for some reason, it feels like the weakest part of the CoS rules. However, how would you suggest running upbringing? The same as ethnicity, or as something else?

Weapons
This is easy.  Weapons are anything that gives you an edge, and it would be simple to add something like .357 Magnum or some shit.

I figured the weapons part would be the easiest to do

Other than that, everything is already pretty general enough that you can port it to a modern context and run say Delta Green where you are actually doomed agents, opposed to guys who have a 60% chance of finding stupid fucking clues...

Keith

Or Conspiracy X too
Join the Buffy Rpg Mailing list:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/btvsrpg-eden/

Keith Senkowski

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.  Been out of town for work.

I would suggest using Upbringing as a sort of catch all Descriptor to cover shit outside the immediate need of the character.  Something that will help put a character over the edge on something by drawing on say his knowledge of cars cause his dad was an auto mechanic or some shit.

Keith
Conspiracy of Shadows: Revised Edition
Everything about the game, from the mechanics, to the artwork, to the layout just screams creepy, creepy, creepy at me. I love it.
~ Paul Tevis, Have Games, Will Travel