News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Learning to Play again

Started by Tim Alexander, September 09, 2006, 10:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Callan S.

I once got this free snowboarding game out of a cornflakes packet (honestly). And it was BLOODY HARD! About three seconds in and I'm arse over tit and keep just slapping into walls, about ten miles behind the stupid cool computer opponents. Everytime I tried to just hit it head on, it sent me reeling.

In the end I had to break it down. Break down certain parts of it into small games 'Okay, if I can get from here to there without falling, that's a win" I would litereally say to myself. Sure I'd lose as usual, but I was now six second into the game before I fell arse over tit! Everytime I won these little things, I congratulated myself. And it pays off. I could eventually kick the arse of the comp players.

But man, did I find it hard to resist trying to swollow it all whole and take it head on - I'd reach the goal I'd set for myself but be itching to go further before congratulating myself. Just take on a little more before I call it a win! Then I'd crash and burn and set back my training, cause I wouldn't call any small improvement a win. This is still a problem, as well.

I hated bewilderment in that snowboarding game as well. So I broke my bewilderment down into pieces, until I understood and beat each bit that I could.
Philosopher Gamer
<meaning></meaning>

Tim Alexander

Hey Again,

This thread was really awesome for me, but unless there's more on the specific couple of questions Ron picked out I think I'm pretty well finished with it. I'm deeply bothered that Ron made this into a Tony Robbins seminar, or perhaps more disturbed that I'm willing to give it a try. Everyone's input was much appreciated and I've got a few last comments to folks:

Charles: You might want to consider opening a thread with some actual play from that Dogs game. My first intentional Nar experience was Dust Devils, and it sounds like we found ourselves stumbling in very similar ways. Here's my actual play post from back then.

Callan: That sort of parceling is part of what I was hoping to do, which is why I referenced drills early on in this thing. It's tough though to do that sort of intensive repitition without actually playing, or substituting it for play. If that's true then I think I'd rather just be playing in the limited windows I have, but if you had suggestions on how to apply the idea to this I'm all ears.

Thanks again everyone,

Tim

Ron Edwards

QuoteI'm deeply bothered that Ron made this into a Tony Robbins seminar,

Me?! You asked!

And, with that, yup, "thread's closed." I try not to use moderator power to have the last word, but couldn't help myself this time.

Best, Ron