News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Dying to play

Started by Sovem, September 12, 2006, 11:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sovem

I am absolutely dying to try this game out, but I can't get my players to give it a chance for the life of me. To be fair, we're in the middle of playtesting my own game right now, but I just can't convince them to get together another night besides our regular game time.

Is anyone interested in trying out some online Universalis? Or does anyone know a place where people arlready are playing it online?

Thanks,
John
Mythos Initiative
Divinity Horizons Power 19

Trevis Martin

Hi John,

My suggestion would be to try the indie-netgaming yahoo group.

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/indie-netgaming/

A lot of both Chat (IRC and MUSH) and PBP/PBEM is arranged there.

I've toyed with starting a limited Uni game online again.  You can see what happened to our series of attempts in this thread:

http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=17388.0

Trevis

best

Trevis

Mike Holmes

Hard enough to get people to play one game, much less two games, and ones they consider untested at that. My suggestion? Don't play with that "we". Just make some players from the non-gamers you know. It's actually easier to teach Universalis to people who've never played a RPG before than it is to teach it to veteran players anyhow.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Sovem

Well, I've thought about that, but I'm not really sure how to broach the topic. How can I convince someone to play Universalis who has never played anything like it since the last time they went camping and passed the story around a campfire? And what if we have different tastes in genres, wouldn't we have problems working together?

And, thanks for those links, Trevis, I will check them out.
Mythos Initiative

Sovem

Hmm, I read the entirety of that thread you suggested, Trevis, and it was very discouraging. The moral of the story seemed to be "Universalis can't work asynchronously". It's been almost a year since the close of that thread... is that still generally the consensus?
Mythos Initiative

Trevis Martin

Well, I'm not convinced it can't work asyncronously.  I'm just not sure about how to make it work that way.  My ideas by the end of the thread were that with some kind of time constraint for the overall game in place it might work, but, well, it's an untested idea.  I intend to have a go of it.  If it's something you want to try perhaps we can work something out.

If you go to the indie game yahoo group link I posted last time you might be able to set up a syncronous internet game which might work better.

If you want to check out what the last game actually looked like you can go to http://trevismartin.org/twiki/bin/view.pl/Unigame/WebHome

Trevis

Sovem

I've joined that list you proposed, and have put up an invitation to a PBeM attempt. I'll be using heavily the advice I've taken from that thread and you guy's comments. We shall see how it goes. If anyone is interested, it's up on the indie-netgaming list.
Mythos Initiative