News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Nexus Flamethrower Unit

Started by Aussigamer, September 14, 2006, 01:44:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussigamer

I am still trying to get the designs right for my system for the weapons.

Nexus uses the weapons size as the TH modifer.

My initial thoguhts would be to reduce the maximum range from 10x to 2 or 3x

Thoughts?
For my gear look here under Nexus

RPG Projects

brainwipe

I don't quite understand the spreadsheet, what game is it for or is it a new game system?

Andy Kitkowski

This isn't helpful, but I think that "NEXUS FLAMETHROWER UNIT" is one of the coolest names I've heard for an RPG in the past year.

Also, any other links for Nexus Flamethrower Unit? I couldn't find the rules docs on a quick search. I'm assuming it's kind of a strategy/tactical military game?

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Aussigamer

yer unit is the wrong word, should have been weapon. Sorry.

I have my site linked in my sig.

Yes its for my RPG system, Nexus. It can be used table top for the vehicle combats, but is basically a roile playing game.

Its the raw data so heres a bit of a tech readout for the manuals

I think this makes it easier for you to see how easy it is to read

Automatic Sentry Gun (Nexus)

Weapon
Twin barrelled Machine guns
Damage: (4d6+12) x2
TH: +4
Range; 82m

Armour
AC:
Armoured: 14, unarmoured: 10
Touch: 10
Flat footed:
Armoured: 12, unarmoured: 10
Damage reduction: Armoured: 20, Unarmoured: 12

Hit points

Skills
Awareness: +10, Use Sensors: +10

Sensor package
Mark VII

GM note:
Robotic Sentry is able to act independently once set up. It has INT score of 3.

Improved Shielded Version

Type: Buffering flickering
Flicker Rate: 8

Shield HP: 124
AC: 11

RPG Projects

joepub

So...

QuoteAutomatic Sentry Gun (Nexus)

Weapon
Twin barrelled Machine guns
Damage: (4d6+12) x2
TH: +4
Range; 82m

Armour
AC:
Armoured: 14, unarmoured: 10
Touch: 10
Flat footed:
Armoured: 12, unarmoured: 10
Damage reduction: Armoured: 20, Unarmoured: 12

Hit points

Skills
Awareness: +10, Use Sensors: +10

Sensor package
Mark VII

GM note:
Robotic Sentry is able to act independently once set up. It has INT score of 3.

Improved Shielded Version

Type: Buffering flickering
Flicker Rate: 8

Shield HP: 124
AC: 11

Is this a D&D/d20 based game extension?

Aussigamer

No its not just a house rules minor changes system.

Yes it is a d20 system but after that the system is wholy a different system.

It has simliar ascepts but like all d20 games they tend to have that, but I feel that the differnces are what makes Nexus better. It allows the GM to build from scratch most gear, and you don't have to guess.

A different combat system, a different magic system (working on a newer  whole system right now), a different psionics system.

Also sorry I put the wrong example for the above flamer gun. thats a robotic sentry gun.

RPG Projects

JustinB

Just so you know, there was a role-playing game put out in the 80s named Nexus, so you probably can't use that as the name of your game, seeing as the Trademark/Copyright wouldn't have run out yet.
I could be wrong, though.
Check out Fae Noir, a game of 1920's fantasy. http://greenfairygames.com

Aussigamer

You can not copyright a name that is in normal everyday use, there is also a star trek nexus PC game and several other Nexus names used.

Mine also has d20Nexus and is different.

But saying that,
1. this is a working title
2. if this ever does maybe one day go to print then I am sure that checks will be done and then at that point a decision will be made.

But thanks any way
Rick

RPG Projects

Ron Edwards

Hi Rick,

I'm a little curious about the question you're asking in this thread. You called for others' thoughts on your proposal to reduce the weapon's maximum range.

I have absolutely no way to address that question, with play-experience using it. Did you arrive at that idea through something that happened during play? If so, what was it?

Best, Ron

Aussigamer

I would like your feed back on the whole thing. I put up my own thoughts about the ranges but interested in the whole data. The sheet is just off my excel sheet and would not be used as is.

I have tried several ways on the site to get some chat going, this is just the latest.

RPG Projects

joepub

Aussigamer,

I'm going to make a few observations.
These will reflect the methods I've found most effective on The Forge, just to, y'know, help you out.

I can see you're doing a great deal of work and getting very little response. And that sucks.
So, observations:

1.) You've got this system which is on a site, which you have to become a member to use - at least, if I remember correctly.
Frankly... if I wanted to respond to this thread I'd need to sign up to your site, download your files, read them all, and then try and process your question. I am not going to do all that, just to respond to a question about maximum ranges.

If you are going to talk about Nexus, use the first bit of the post to outline some of the stuff. A line or two describing what Nexus is, and maybe a quick rundown of how the mechanics in question work.

If you said, "Listen. Here's 200 words on how weapons and combat work. Now, by making X am I unbalancing the game?"...
It'd be easier for us to productively comment on this thread than it is now.
But...

...2.) You're asking a very, very narrow question about how a particular item's stats work in play. That question would be best answered by playtesting, not by idle speculation.

3.) Posting and saying, "What do you think of this?" will typically give you stale results.
For example...
In this thread, after explaining Nexus quickly, telling us how combat worked, and posting about your gun...
You could say, for example, "I want to stress fatality in combat. I want people to be weary about entering a fight without knowing their odds. So, does X help me re-enforce that design goal?"

That's perhaps a poorly constructed example, but gives you an idea what I mean, right?
Ask questions tied to your design goals, and pose questions in the form of, "Does X re-enforce Y".

Aussigamer

Quote from: joepub on September 17, 2006, 11:00:08 PM
Aussigamer,

I'm going to make a few observations.
These will reflect the methods I've found most effective on The Forge, just to, y'know, help you out.

I can see you're doing a great deal of work and getting very little response. And that sucks.
So, observations:

1.) You've got this system which is on a site, which you have to become a member to use - at least, if I remember correctly.
Frankly... if I wanted to respond to this thread I'd need to sign up to your site, download your files, read them all, and then try and process your question. I am not going to do all that, just to respond to a question about maximum ranges.

Unless you have room here for 2Mb worth of my stuff then yes you will have to go to that site and becoime a member, its a part of the site set up that you at least are a member to access the downloads.

The question is not just about maximum ranges, that was my initial thoughts. I would like comment about all of it.

QuoteIf you are going to talk about Nexus, use the first bit of the post to outline some of the stuff. A line or two describing what Nexus is, and maybe a quick rundown of how the mechanics in question work

I have done that several times on site and have not gotten any feedback or questions about it, so I attempted to kick start a discussion by putting some stuff here for dicussion. That seems to have got a discussion going but sadly it seems to be not about the data but other factors, like copyright, becoming a member or such.

QuoteIf you said, "Listen. Here's 200 words on how weapons and combat work. Now, by making X am I unbalancing the game?"...
It'd be easier for us to productively comment on this thread than it is now.
But...

If you don't want to read the entire system then what the point of the above question any way? as you have no idea what the DR is for things or such. I am after general thoughts about the data mainly as I see that most liekly few will read it and even fewer will actually reply about it. I have seen that on other sites I have attempted to start a discussion on about my system.

Quote...2.) You're asking a very, very narrow question about how a particular item's stats work in play. That question would be best answered by playtesting, not by idle speculation.
Again not asking just about the range, I never said that, but for some reason everyone seems to think that. My mistake in putting in a comment.

Quote3.) Posting and saying, "What do you think of this?" will typically give you stale results.
For example...
In this thread, after explaining Nexus quickly, telling us how combat worked, and posting about your gun...
You could say, for example, "I want to stress fatality in combat. I want people to be weary about entering a fight without knowing their odds. So, does X help me re-enforce that design goal?"

I can see that I am wasting your and my time by trying to get feed back on here and I'll stop bothering.

QuoteThat's perhaps a poorly constructed example, but gives you an idea what I mean, right?
Ask questions tied to your design goals, and pose questions in the form of, "Does X re-enforce Y".

Again I have tried differing methods on this site with little or no actual real feddback, so I will stop.

Cheers
Rick

RPG Projects

Eero Tuovinen

By the by, I agree that it's probably a good idea to reduce the maximum range here. Even if your other weapons calculate the maximum range as x10 the short range, that doesn't work so well with a flame-thrower, considering what people would expect. Does it have a cone effect, by the way? If you're going to have stat blocks for weapons anyway, having customized ranges doesn't particularly increase the burden.

Also: if that's a normal flamethrower, I don't think it should work in space at all realistically speaking. Of course that's easy to ignore if you like the visuals of a flamethrower fight in space...

About lack of feedback: I am of the same mind with you here, Aussigamer, you're not getting enough discussion to justify starting threads here. As I see it you have two choices about it:
- Make a real effort to outline your design goals and philosophy, the state of the project, your publishing plans and the current state of the game. Summarize enough pertinent material for the fellows here to get a sense of what you already have. Lay out genuine conundrums and your reasoning as to how you think they could be solved. Write up the reasons why you think this is a worthwhile project, loan your motivation to others so they will harness the energy to help you. Time and again we've verified here the very simple fact that feedback is not automatic; even interesting projects need to be presented in a frank and personal way to garner that interest, and when a project isn't obviously original and flashy (like here), it's twice as important to present it in an interesting manner.
- Decide that it's not worth the effort, and stop trying. I don't think that this is a particularly bad choice in this case, because it should be clear as day that success in finding a common ground between the Forge regulars and your design is going to take some work. What you're working on seems uninspiring and bland to the great majority of posters here, and while they perhaps could help you with time, it would take lots of effort from both sides to get over the cultural gap.
I suggest that you think about these options frankly, without letting ego issues get in the way. What kind of help do you really need with your game? Do you think the people here are equipped to help you with it? How much work are you willing to put in to get people to care? If the equation doesn't seem favorable, well, there are a lot of other places to look for support in your design efforts. And if it still seems worthwhile to try, look at those suggestions seriously: you have to write longer, more detailed and personal posts to get anybody to answer with the same. Short and vague gets only short and vague in reply, and most will just skip those in favor of threads where they can actually be helpful.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Aussigamer

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on September 18, 2006, 05:44:40 AM
By the by, I agree that it's probably a good idea to reduce the maximum range here. Even if your other weapons calculate the maximum range as x10 the short range, that doesn't work so well with a flame-thrower, considering what people would expect. Does it have a cone effect, by the way? If you're going to have stat blocks for weapons anyway, having customized ranges doesn't particularly increase the burden.

I have given modern weapons 20x. yer it does seem to much so 3x looks fair and real.

Hum need to look at that, but most likely it would be a line of effect not cone. Note to self!

QuoteAlso: if that's a normal flamethrower, I don't think it should work in space at all realistically speaking. Of course that's easy to ignore if you like the visuals of a flamethrower fight in space...
New tech allows for chemicals which would allow for the affect

QuoteAbout lack of feedback: I am of the same mind with you here, Aussigamer, you're not getting enough discussion to justify starting threads here. As I see it you have two choices about it:
- Make a real effort to outline your design goals and philosophy, the state of the project, your publishing plans and the current state of the game. Summarize enough pertinent material for the fellows here to get a sense of what you already have. Lay out genuine conundrums and your reasoning as to how you think they could be solved. Write up the reasons why you think this is a worthwhile project, loan your motivation to others so they will harness the energy to help you. Time and again we've verified here the very simple fact that feedback is not automatic; even interesting projects need to be presented in a frank and personal way to garner that interest, and when a project isn't obviously original and flashy (like here), it's twice as important to present it in an interesting manner.
- Decide that it's not worth the effort, and stop trying. I don't think that this is a particularly bad choice in this case, because it should be clear as day that success in finding a common ground between the Forge regulars and your design is going to take some work. What you're working on seems uninspiring and bland to the great majority of posters here, and while they perhaps could help you with time, it would take lots of effort from both sides to get over the cultural gap.
I suggest that you think about these options frankly, without letting ego issues get in the way. What kind of help do you really need with your game? Do you think the people here are equipped to help you with it? How much work are you willing to put in to get people to care? If the equation doesn't seem favorable, well, there are a lot of other places to look for support in your design efforts. And if it still seems worthwhile to try, look at those suggestions seriously: you have to write longer, more detailed and personal posts to get anybody to answer with the same. Short and vague gets only short and vague in reply, and most will just skip those in favor of threads where they can actually be helpful.

I did some of what it's about in another thread, but that did not work. I will try agian with a run down. But as this is an entire system then it is a big ask to put what the rules are.

For the feel
Nexus is about allowing GMs and players to set there own campaigns up from scratch. Too many systems give little infomation about building stuff from scratch exept for some guidlines. Yes there are other systems that do well in one area or another, I am trying to make a system for all areas.

Allowing a game to be placed in D&D settings, modern, near future or distant future. Most games work in setting area but have real problems coping with the other settings.

I have gone for a simple combat system, as I and my players like that, but a very detailed setting up system. This allows for more variation to whats on offer, than just the basic gear.

I like a free system for building characters, you get to assign the character feats which allows it to be mutant or psionic or magic user. The skills are open to all, to some extent as you do have requirements for the upper ones, so no cross class. the skills can be learned by doing or by going to a place of learning.

Again here I seem to giving the rules and not the feel.

RPG Projects

joepub

QuoteI can see that I am wasting your and my time by trying to get feed back on here and I'll stop bothering.

No! I sincerely apologize if I was giving you that impression.
In fact, I would really like to see Nexus become a kickass, rock solid game. The kind that makes me excited about playing a d20-ish game.
In order for people to help you MOST EFFECTIVELY, though, I was trying to give you some tools that've helped me AT THIS SITE.
So... in no way take my earlier post as saying, "Get out of here."
Take is as saying, "Here are some ways that you can make the most out of the Forge, as I see it."

QuoteFor the feel
Nexus is about allowing GMs and players to set there own campaigns up from scratch. Too many systems give little infomation about building stuff from scratch exept for some guidlines. Yes there are other systems that do well in one area or another, I am trying to make a system for all areas.

Allowing a game to be placed in D&D settings, modern, near future or distant future. Most games work in setting area but have real problems coping with the other settings.

I have gone for a simple combat system, as I and my players like that, but a very detailed setting up system. This allows for more variation to whats on offer, than just the basic gear.

I like a free system for building characters, you get to assign the character feats which allows it to be mutant or psionic or magic user. The skills are open to all, to some extent as you do have requirements for the upper ones, so no cross class. the skills can be learned by doing or by going to a place of learning.

Again here I seem to giving the rules and not the feel.

This is really helpful. Awesome.
Wanna know the part that's the most helpful to me, as someone wanting to get in on the conversation?
"I have gone for a simple combat system, as I and my players like that, but a very detailed setting up system."

Cool. That's a very direct Design Goal. And it's worded really simply. (Some people have an issue with succinctness. You don't, which is awesome.)

I want to know more about how you've done this.
Either in this thread, or in a new one... can you explain how your game achieves this?

So... someone could use your system to create this item, right?
Like... I understand that you've created this one and it's a pre-generated item... But someone could theoretically re-create it using your system?
Is that an example of waht you mean by "very detailed setting up system"?