News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] Using Warp as weather-control device?

Started by StefanS, September 17, 2006, 08:05:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StefanS

Hello,

I'm prepping a Sorcerer campaign which I'll GM.
Actually, I'm writing up the NPC demons, and in the case of one of these demons, I'd find it appropriate if he had the ability to control the weather. I looked up the abilities, and Warp seems to be able to do the job.

However, there arise some questions...
1.) Is it possible to change one material into another? (In my case, air to water/fog/clouds/snow/ice and vice versa)
2.) If it is possible, which material counts for the kilogram^2 limit? The former material? The new material? The heavier material? The lighter material?
3.) Is it possible to create structures that couldn't exist without collapsing (e.g. thin pillars of water to emulate rain)?

I'd also appreciate hints on troubles with warp especially in the regard of weather-control, as well as hints to other abilities which might be able to control the weather as well.

- Stefan

Ron Edwards

Hi Stefan,

Warp isn't the right ability for this purpose. You should think about all the different things that controlling weather can accomplish, and many of them will require unique abilities.

For example, if you want people's vision to be affected by the weather, then Cloak, Daze, and Confuse should be involved.

If you want people to take damage from the weather, then Special Damage is required; if you want more than one way for this to happen (in terms of game effects), then you'll need more than one Special Damage.

If you want changes in the lighting of an area, for flashes of lightning or clouds covering the sun, then Shadow must be included.

I know some of these effects have areas mentioned in the rules, so the best way to look at it is that those areas apply to the people affected in the story. Sure, maybe you have clouds cover the sun and the whole city sees it. But the only people affected for game purposes relative to the character, are simply in the immediate vicinity of the character.

Now, if you want your weather changes to affect people who aren't in your sorcerer's vicinity, then you need Ranged, taken once per abilility that can do this. And you'll also need Perception in order to target anyone who's not in the sorcerer's immediate vicinity.

For full-scale storm powers, I think you're looking at a demon with Power at least 10, and perhaps more, to account for the minimal necessary abilities.

Best, Ron

StefanS

Hi Ron,

I'm perfectly happy with a weather control without mechanical impacts (except bonus dice for clever tactics or stuff warped by sudden flashes from the clear sky). It's just a thing that fits damn well to this NPC and makes some neat color.

So, in this case, is warp the right thing?

Ron Edwards

Hi Stefan,

Aha! If that's all you're talking about, then what you're describing is a character's Telltale. Nothing else need be considered, and yes, a bonus die here or there is perfectly warranted.

If you do want a demonic ability to reinforce it on occasion, then all you'll need is Shadow, because it seems the effect is a change in illumination.

Best, Ron