News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Sorcerer Sighting... sort of...

Started by wyrdlyng, May 15, 2002, 11:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyrdlyng

In the Parting Shots section of this month's Knights of the Dinner Table there's the humorous question of "How Many Gamers Does It Take To Change A Light Bulb?" broken by gaming systems.

Included in this is "Sorcerer: It comes down to a challenge of the will. You can climb that ladder if you choose to pay the cost--but be warned: it may be higher than you think."

Now to me the cool part is that Sorcerer is named in a list of mostly "mainstream" games. I think is cool because perhaps this will entice some gamers who have never heard of Sorcerer to search out the game to see what that little joke was about. And since Little Fears was also listed perhaps this can be their introduction to an entirely new area of gaming that they knew nothing about. If nothing else it's free publicity which never hurts.
Alex Hunter
Email | Web

Ron Edwards

Wow!

Actually, this is far more significant than one might think. KODT may be thought of as role-playing's primary "political cartoon." To be noticed by it is a definite sign of occupying the subcultural landscape.

Commercial identity is gained from being bought and sold. Subcultural identity is gained from being confirmed by multiple secondary sources. In a hobby culture/market, these are generally held to have a union/job relationship - you can't get the commerce without the subculture, you can't get the subculture without the commerce.

Enough academics. I got a mention in KODT, and most importantly, they got it right. This calls for a beer.

Best,
Ron

Jake Norwood

Well hell, now I'm jealous. ;)

Congrats, man. That really is something.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant