News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Stupid PDF Question

Started by Ferry Bazelmans, June 14, 2001, 10:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferry Bazelmans

Heya people,

At the risk of having to dodge several truckloads of rotten tomatoes and even less savoury items, I'm going to ask the question anyway.

I'm experimenting with Quark Express at the moment to format a game I'm working on. I want to be able to sell the game in PDF format through my website (using services like Paypal etc.), but I have no idea what the rules are when formatting layout for PDF.

Are there any clear guidelines on the net somewhere specifically for use with Quark Express and Adobe Acrobat?

I have version 5 of Acrobat (not Acrobat Reader) and version 4.1 of Quark Express.

Alternatively, does anyone have any personal experiences they would like to share with to make sure I don't make the same mistakes everyone else has made.

Thanks in advance,

Crayne
http://www.crayne.nl" target="_blank">The BlackLight Bar
The BlackLight Bar, home of Soap: the game of soap opera mayhem.
Now available as a $2.95 Adobe PDF (Paypal only)

Dav

Crayne:

I've never had much any experience with Quark Express, but with Adobe, anything goes layout-wise.  It will take whatever you have in your normal format (whatever it looks like) and make it look exactly like that.

For some reason I have noticed however, that printing to Acrobat Distiller cuts down the end file-size immensely.  One version of Hellbound that was "Published to PDF" was 2.2 megs.  The same version printed to the Distiller is 846K.  I couldn't tell you why, I just accept the results.

Thus, rather than just clicking on the Publish button, actually print to the distiller.

My .02, and you're welcome to keep them.

Dav