News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Mortal Coil] Passion questions

Started by dyjoots, October 06, 2006, 05:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyjoots

I'm just about set on the rules, but I'm running the game tonight for my wife so I wanted to try and get a few final clarifications on the way that Passions work.

1) Is a Passion's rating increased for each time you use it after the first, or is it only increased once?  For example, if I use a Passion 3 times in a session, does it increase by 2 (for the second and third use) or does it increase by 1 (for being used more than once)?
2) When is the Passion token for Passion usage spent?  I figure it's during the initial reveal, but I'm unclear exactly on the timing.  Which leads to question three:
3) If you've spent a Passion token, but the action you spent it on is lost (due to reallocation), what happens to the Passion token and bonus?  I figured that it could be moved the the new action, as part of the reallocation, but I wanted to be clear.
-- Chris Rogers

RPL

I'm just a newbie to this game my self (and I don't have the book on me), so take my answers with precaution:

1) A Passion rating always increases everytime you use it, that's how it can lead to some one becaming completly fanatic about something;
2) I believe you only spend the Passion token when allocating resources before the reveal;
3) No ideia, need the book.

Brennan Taylor

Quote from: dyjoots on October 06, 2006, 05:03:10 AM
1) Is a Passion's rating increased for each time you use it after the first, or is it only increased once?  For example, if I use a Passion 3 times in a session, does it increase by 2 (for the second and third use) or does it increase by 1 (for being used more than once)?
2) When is the Passion token for Passion usage spent?  I figure it's during the initial reveal, but I'm unclear exactly on the timing.  Which leads to question three:
3) If you've spent a Passion token, but the action you spent it on is lost (due to reallocation), what happens to the Passion token and bonus?  I figured that it could be moved the the new action, as part of the reallocation, but I wanted to be clear.

1: Every time (after the first) that you use a passion in the same session, it increases by one.
2 & 3: It is spent when the action is resolved. You can't reallocate a passion. If you reallocate, the token must remain in the same action you used it for initially. When the actions resolve, it is moved to the spent area.

dyjoots

Quote from: Brennan Taylor on October 06, 2006, 06:34:41 AM
2 & 3: It is spent when the action is resolved. You can't reallocate a passion. If you reallocate, the token must remain in the same action you used it for initially. When the actions resolve, it is moved to the spent area.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear.  What I meant to ask was "When do you let everyone know that you will be gaining the benefits of a Passion?"  Do you say "I'm going to get +2 from my Hate passion" when the reveal occurs, and spend the token later?  Can you decide to add the Passion after the reveal, possibly pushing your total high enough to beat your opponent?

I was thinking that during the bidding portion, wherein you secretly record your intended action and bid, you could also just place the Passion token on the action which it is benefitting.  Since it's a different color, there would be no danger of accidentally adding it into the total.  It would instead just serve as an indicator that a passion is being used.  Then, once the actions are resolved, you move the Passion token to the spent pile.  Does that sound about right?
-- Chris Rogers

Brennan Taylor

Quote from: dyjoots on October 06, 2006, 09:59:56 AM
I was thinking that during the bidding portion, wherein you secretly record your intended action and bid, you could also just place the Passion token on the action which it is benefitting.  Since it's a different color, there would be no danger of accidentally adding it into the total.  It would instead just serve as an indicator that a passion is being used.  Then, once the actions are resolved, you move the Passion token to the spent pile.  Does that sound about right?

That's exactly right. Power tokens are the only things you can add after the reveal.

dyjoots

Quote from: Brennan Taylor on October 06, 2006, 07:20:51 PM
Quote from: dyjoots on October 06, 2006, 09:59:56 AM

That's exactly right. Power tokens are the only things you can add after the reveal.

Thanks a bunch.
-- Chris Rogers