News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Forum News] Announcement

Started by Ron Edwards, October 06, 2006, 06:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tzunder

Good luck over at MOLAD. I also would offer the Tavern BBS as a place for intelligent chat about fantasy gaming and a good home for HeroQuesters.

http://tavern.zunder.org.uk/

sebastianz

Just positing a wild idea. What about Mythic Russia? Isn't it indie in the Forge sense? Then Mark, in case he has any interest in it, could ask for a forum here. It would not be a heroquest forum, though.

Sebastian.

Web_Weaver

As a side note, there is nothing to stop anyone framing HQ posts as actual play, granted not all of the posts in this corner are actual play related, but many could be, and many would benefit from this more focused approach. I will probably take this route and hope others will chip in too. I tend to go there first to read anyway, and I believe there is still a lot to say about HQ that fits perfectly into that arena.

Der_Renegat

So whats happening ? Is there a new place where we continue the spirit of this forum ?

Christian

Mike Holmes

Personally I'm waiting for Newt to announce the MOLAD site. At the moment I haven't seen any better idea (though I still have to check out Tom's site).

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Ian Cooper

Hi all,

I would like to see some way of combining a lot of lists that deal with the HeroQuest engine as opposed to setting. I think that anyone posting at hq-rules would certainly benefit from the understanding many people here have about topics like conflict vs. task resolution, making failure create story, etc. Mike has done a sterling job there, but with new HQ variants appearing it might be good to center HQ engine experience in one, accessible place.

I don't know that hq-rules is necessarily the right place, but if we could create the go-to place for the HQ engine (and encourage hq-rules to migrate there) we might go someway to controlling lis proliferation.

MrWrong

Howdo

Just a small update. I'm hoping to get the meat of the MoLad website done this weekend. I'm using a Content management System, probably Joolma, to provide a robust website were users can upload articles, example heroes, and have a journal/blog etc If you remember the Ring of HeroQuest Narrators, this is the sort of site I'm looking to create.

Regarding the Forum, I'm almost 100% going to go with the same software (simple machines) that the Forge uses.

I'm looking at a go live date around mid November.
Regards

;O)Newt

Mike Holmes

Ian,

I'm torn, somewhat.

You're probably right about HQ Rules, that it should be the place to discuss all of this sort of stuff. You make an excellent point that it makes sense to consolidate, especially with so small a community. Even if it wasn't on Rules, we probably should consolidate somewhere. I certainly don't want to be part of fragmenting it any further than it must be.

But I think that some of what I (and others like me) have to say isn't topical for the Rules list and/or not welcome by a substantial portion of the people there. For my sake, and theirs, it might be best if I didn't migrate everything there.

And, in any case, I prefer fora (with mail notification) to mailing lists for this sort of discussion. Personal thing. Newt has been infinitely patient with me in the past, and seems to be putting up what I like. Plus, since I'm a MoLaD member, it seems to be a really good fit.

Does the fact that it's a MOLAD site seem to you to have any downsides to it?

Since this forum is closing, I'm thinking that we're doing no further harm by starting another up. Or am I being myopic or too self-centered?

BTW, I checked out the Tavern (Tom Zunder's site), and from an admittedly cursory look over the place I get the feeling I wouldn't be too welcome over there, either. If I've gotten the wrong impression, please let me know.

Mike

Der_Renegat

QuoteBut I think that some of what I (and others like me) have to say isn't topical for the Rules list and/or not welcome by a substantial portion of the people there. For my sake, and theirs, it might be best if I didn't migrate everything there.

I think a variety of approaches is a good thing. I may not always agree or even be interested in your very specific view, but i can ignore your posts anytime, so i dont see a problem really !

QuoteAnd, in any case, I prefer fora (with mail notification) to mailing lists for this sort of discussion. Personal thing.

So do i !

BTW, I checked out the Tavern (Tom Zunder's site), and from an admittedly cursory look over the place I get the feeling I wouldn't be too welcome over there, either.

I got the same impression, to be honest....

Christian

Ward

<rant>
Please, if you are going to create a new community hangout, go with something a little more friendly than:
- a mailing list
- yahoo

Anyway, just like people assuming everyone has AIM (AOL == evil), asking everyone who is interested in the slightest to create a Yahoo account just to access a mailinglist which has a terrible archive interface to boot is a bit much.
</rant>

MrWrong

Ok what I'm developing at this stage is the following;

The Molad site will have a forum

That forum will use simple machines forum (which is the same software as here)

which notifies users via email of

As well as general Molad events, questions about glorantha forums, there will be a forum called

The Anvil

This is intended to be the new home of the present Forge community, and have a similar scope.
Regards

;O)Newt

Web_Weaver

Hi all,

Newt, the Anvil suggestion looks cool,

I am also torn with the consolidation issue, but I think the gap between HQ players with a narrativist theory focus and new players just trying to get to grips with the basic rules is quite big. I was on the other side of the gap for quite some time, and I found the learning curve steep.

I know from my fellow players and other forums that there is a strong anti-forge feeling around, mostly born out of misunderstanding of what theory is in general, and also because the jargon terms used provide a barrier to understanding obscuring the simplicity and non-threatening nature of the theories.

Indeed there is a gap even within this forum, but at least we attempt to use a common language here, and we can usually find a way to communicate without frustration.

The only way I can see of consolidating would be to have two or more forums on the same site, one that substitutes for the HQ-rules list (which was never suited to yahoo groups anyway) and others that focus on theory, variants, house rules etc.

Also, it would be a good idea not to rely on the forge articles. These may require a bit of work but a simplified glossary (ideally linkable to individual terms) and an article on HQs place in theory would be worth their weight in gold for anyone wanting to take the leap from one forum to the other. (I could help with these if people think they are worth persuing.)

Mike Holmes

I willing to bet that by "a similar scope" that Newt wasn't saying that it would neccessarily be like this forum entirely in tennor or anything. I think you may be over-reading, Jaime.

OTOH, at the moment it's going to have me - which given that I'm still around 5% of The Forge...

I think that any "gap" in terms of playstyle or understanding of anything shouldn't be Newt's concern. And the chances that HQ-Rules is going to close down to come over to Newt's site is, I think pretty small. Though, who knows.

Christian, I was hardly thinking about you - you've always been quite tolerant. There are characters out there who make you look like a saint by comparison.

Mike

Blake Hutchins

So where exactly is this forum group migrating to?  Is there a URL and an approximate go-live date?

My apologies if this has been made clear elsewhere.  I didn't see it in the thread.

Best,

Blake

Mike Holmes

Well, there seems to be at least a little diaspora happening here, Blake. All I can say is that I'll be at Newt's new site when it goes live. I assume some others will come on over. But I'm sure others will go elsewhere.

Mike