News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Previously on..."

Started by azrianni, October 07, 2006, 09:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azrianni

I just recently thought that the one bit of the common TV formula that doesn't get used is "previously on...". I was wondering if anybody had tried doing anything with it, or if Matt had experimented with including something there but couldn't get it to work.

In a semi-recent RPGnet thread that I can't find at the moment, somebody (Tony LB?) was talking about how to put together a RPG that would take less time investment, and suggested "previously on" as a way for people to re-invoke or re-create characters or situations.

I also wondered if they could perhaps function in a parallel form with "next time on...": telling the producer (and everybody) "hey, I want this episode to involve something that builds on this."

Thoughts? Experiments?

dyjoots

It seems like "Previously on..." would be a good way to do a PTA one-shot, like a reverse "Next time on..."
It reminds me of all of the talk about starting in the middle of a season (like the quintessential AP, Moose in the Big City).  I would definitely give this a try in a one-shot situation.
-- Chris Rogers

Matthew Glover

Our group used this device a little bit.  As the Producer, I'd highlight the plot stuff that I thought was important and each player would highlight the character development stuff that they thought was important.  It worked really well.