News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Last Chronicles of Erdor] Searching for the right adjective to name a religion

Started by baron samedi, October 12, 2006, 12:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

baron samedi

Hi,

I'm in the process of translating a role-playing game from French to English, and stuck with the choice of a proper term to designate a specific religious movement.

- This religious movement is in its infancy. It worships the ENIGMA, of which very little is known except an odd dream that describes Seven Certitudes. It has countless creeds, many contradicting, and no formalized organisation yet.
- This religion has panentheistic undertones and is extremely vague by design.
- Imagine, for example, what could happen if people had started worshipping the black monoliths in the movie 2001 A Space Odyssey by S. Kubrick. A sort of New Age movement rooted in a dream visitation, interpreted in many ways accross the world.

Up to now I called this in English "the Messianic Movement" and its adherents "Messianics" but I find the choice poor, since a presumed messiah is a very peripheral element of this faith.

I was wondering if the adjective "Enigmatic" (with a capital E) would seem appropriate in English, since all these believers have in common is worship of the ENIGMA. For example :

- "The Enigmatic Movement is widespread in the East."
- "The Enigmatic tribes declared war in retaliation to persecutions".
- "In time, Enigmatism (neologism) is growing into a genuine religion."
- "Thousands of Enigmatics gathered in the desert to dance in silence".

etc.

Does the use of a capital "E" make the adjective meaningful, or does a reader get the feeling the author simply wants the movement the movement to be enigmatic instead of being ENIGMA-related?

If not, any suggestions as to how I may design this movement as a whole while keeping the designator as nondescritive as possible?

Thanks,

Erick

FLEB

I think it all has to do with how you refer to it in the introductory materials and in-game. If you formally introduce it to players, and refer to it as a proper term (capitalized and in proper context) I don't think it would be hard to realize that this is not simply an enigmatic movement, it's the Enigmatic movement.

I think you're okay.
If you *really* don't want to call me FLEB, go ahead and call me Rudy Fleminger... I guess... because I like you.

crowyhead

Works for me, and makes reasonably logical sense.  I think you're good.

Kirsten

Lance D. Allen

Agreed. As one who has struggled for the right terms without having to worry about translating it from one language to another, I understand your pain. I think, however, with the right presentation, Enigmatism will be fine. Early use of this specific word usage will also help drive the point home.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

baron samedi

Thanks for the tips. I think I'll use "Enigmatism/ic", I like the sound of it. My co-writers were quite uncertain about the risk of confusion... this is a trick I can't pull in my French version because we don't use capitals for adjectives.

It's awful the time spent on choosing the right sound for a translated word... The subjective difference between synonyms (e.g. warlock/sorcerer) isn't always crystal clear from an outsider's view. :)

Cheers,

Erick