News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Spirit of the Century] Con experience (with pics!)

Started by Storn, October 10, 2006, 11:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storn

This weekend, I got a chance to play Spirit of the Century, which I believe is a Fate 3.0 engine.  A very, very good pulp game system.  As I am wont to do, I doodled while playing.  These were all pre-gens, as it was a mini-con here in Ithaca.  My character was Kid Shadow (see link below for pic)

I had a very good time playing.   What I really loved about the character generation was the "pulp novel" stages.  That was really cool.  Even though we were playing pregens, Jim didn't complete this stage. Basically, you write a pulp title and blurb about your character's "novel" on an index card.  Then you pass it along to another player, who writes how her/his character "guest starred" in your novel.  Building a relationship web seamlessly.

Then you get to add tweaks to your character based on the events of that novel.  Very cool. 

Since my character was Kid Shadow, who appears to be his vigilante father courtesy of runic-mystic colt .45s, I wrote as a guest star in the Librarian's novel, that she was attracted to this dark, handsome vigilante.  Not knowing it was a 12 year old boy in an illusionistic disguise... because I KNEW it would be totally fun playing a kid who had NO idea about romance or love or any of that.

In play, it was fun to be this dark forebodding Shadow rip-off who suddenly has his voice crack and get all flustered.

This is going to become our group's stand by game, when not everyone can make it to the table, because it will be a snap to just do an evening with any combo of the pulp characters.  Although, we've already done characters for the game, not these depicted.  Just haven't drawn them yet.  Maybe when we play.

Enjoy.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/Storn/SoTCTeam.jpg

oliof

Character generation as a leisure activity unto itself is one of the wow! things of SotC. It's a mini game that nurtures playing the game in various ways.

Reithan

Awesome artwork.

And the game sounds like it was (or will be, not sure if it's already completed?) a lot of fun.
There is no true power with but one edge.

Penetrator - WIP, Cyberpunk/Sci-fi RPG

iago

Quote from: oliof on October 10, 2006, 11:44:29 AM
Character generation as a leisure activity unto itself is one of the wow! things of SotC. It's a mini game that nurtures playing the game in various ways.
I've always loved the "long" character creation methods we've had in Fate, but Spirit of the Century is the first time I feel like we've gotten it exactly right.  I'm glad to hear it's going "ping" for you as well.

And, Storn, those pictures make me weep with joy.

Storn

Well.  Thanks Iago.  That Con experience has folded into a stand by campaign for the Sunday group.  I thought Paka was going to post the characters (he kept the character sheets) and I'm looking forward to it. 

I based my concept on a drawing that I did maybe 5 years ago for Hero 5th edition.... a Flash Gordon/ Adam Strange homage.

I'll or Paka will start a new thread for that one.

and I just ordered SotC myself.  So, the con made a sale.