News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Stuck on a resolution mechanic

Started by Ancannios, October 17, 2006, 09:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancannios

Hi to all,
I am currently designing my homebrew simulationist  rpg set in the early middle ages, but for 5 days now I just cant get any ideas for a core mechanic.
This is what the mechanic should take notice of.

Each character has levels (None, Basic, Advanced, Excellent) in 10 traits. These are: Force of Body, Force of Soul, Force of Mind, Diplomacy, Thievery*, Armed combat, Ranged Combat, Knowledge, Dexterity and Crafts. Every trait governs 4 skills. For example, Diplomacy has Persuading, Intimidating, Bluffing and Finding out information*.
In these skills, characters have ranks from 0-100. To raise a trait by a level, the sum of ranks in all skills governed by that trait must be a certain number. For example, if I want to raise Diplomacy from Basic to Advanced, I have to have to have at least 60 ranks among all four diplomatic skills. Once I have Advanced in Diplomacy, I will get special bonuses or feats.

Raising skills should be very easy if the character doesnt have much ranks in the skill,and get harder the more skilled the character gets (as in most games). For example, if  I have only 5 ranks in Persuading, my skill will increase by one rank every time I manage a successful check. But once I have above 10 ranks, only the harder tasks will get me a rank and so on. Raising skills above 50 should be very, very hard.

So, if you have any ideas to help me, please post them. I will also be glad of any feedback regarding my traits-skills system.

* - I havent been able to think of a better name yet, any suggestions will be appreciated

andrew_kenrick

Hi Ancannios! Welcome to the Forge. Do you have a real name we can call you by?

With skills rated up to 100, I would have thought the simplest core mechanic would be a percantile system - ie rolling 1d100 and getting under the skill?

Also - do you need 10 traits? Correct me if I'm wrong, but a trait is like a broad ability, whilst skills are more focused sub-sections? I'm sure you could turn some of those traits into skills, and maybe increase the number of skills under each trait? That might make the system a little less complicated and more streamlined? I'm sure, if you really wanted to streamline, you could boil it down to Force of Mind, Force of Body and Force of Soul as the 3 traits. But that's probably just my preferences showing through.

I like the idea about advancement though - I think it will work well that you need to have a certain total of skills under a trait to advance the trait (and presumably have some benefit to the associated skills).

Anyway, keep posting your ideas as you develop them and I'm sure other people will join in with their comments.
Andrew Kenrick
www.steampowerpublishing.com
Dead of Night - a pocket sized game of b-movie and slasher horror

iain

I think you need to be careful about your definintion between traits and skills. Thievery for instance, instantly struck me as being a skill, something learned, rather than a trait, something innate. This is how i tend to view skills and traits anyway. I agree with andrew that percentile seems to be your best bet. d100 roll under value.

Cheers
Iain
<a href="http://www.contestedground.co.uk>'Mob Justice'</a> Line Developer
Check out my webstie for some free game downloads.

Narf the Mouse

Perhaps Stealth as the trait, Theivery as one of the skills?

Ancannios

Yeah, Stealth is the word. Thx Nerf.
I forgot to say that the game is not being developped in English, therefore everything I write is a translation and might sound better or worse in Czech, my native language.
The idea of reducing the number of traits is a good one, I just see more problems arising if I do so. If I shove Crafts and Armed Combat (together with their skills) into Force of Body, there might just be too many *skills* to keep track of. Also, I planned that in order to determine the characters class, the player will choose one major trait. If I end up having 3 traits, I end up having 3 classes (and I like my idea of classes too much to just throw it away).
Perhaps I could just divide the system further, throwing abilities between traits and skills. But isnt that even more complex than what I have now?
Anyway, thanks a lot for the replies, thy did help me.

drfelip

Quote from: Ancannios on October 18, 2006, 08:24:36 AM
Yeah, Stealth is the word. Thx Nerf.
I forgot to say that the game is not being developped in English, therefore everything I write is a translation and might sound better or worse in Czech, my native language.
The idea of reducing the number of traits is a good one, I just see more problems arising if I do so. If I shove Crafts and Armed Combat (together with their skills) into Force of Body, there might just be too many *skills* to keep track of. Also, I planned that in order to determine the characters class, the player will choose one major trait. If I end up having 3 traits, I end up having 3 classes (and I like my idea of classes too much to just throw it away).
Perhaps I could just divide the system further, throwing abilities between traits and skills. But isnt that even more complex than what I have now?
Anyway, thanks a lot for the replies, thy did help me.

An alternative way would be to get rid of Force of... and keep traits as broad skills. Anyway, I see an important difference in concept between Force of... and the rest of traits. I thin you should consider reorganising your traits.