News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Module Contest

Started by Zahtevnik, October 03, 2006, 12:26:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zahtevnik

This is a cash-prize contest for a gaming company, so I hope it's fine to advertise it here. If not then let me know : )

We're trying out our first contest, as well, and will be giving away $75 to the winner. Plus, the first 50 takers receive a free copy of the Abeo ebook to get them started. To find out more head to http://insomniumgames.com and check out the contest rules.

Any questions, comments, suggestions, or complaints can be tossed out to jennifer @ insomniumgames.com

Jennifer Reynolds
Insomnium Games
http://insomniumgames.com

Eero Tuovinen

Well, I'm not a moderator, but anybody interested in this should probably check out the legal print:
Quote from: http://insomniumgames.com/contest.htm
By submitting an entry into this contest you confirm that you are submitting your idea voluntarily and non-confidentially. Insomnium Games may, at its sole discretion, refuse to consider any entry for any reason. This submission and its acceptance by Insomnium Games does not, in whole or in part, establish or create, by implication or otherwise, any relationship between the entrant and Insomnium Games beyond consideration for this contest. Additionally, you confirm that this module becomes the property of Insomnium Games upon its submission and is subject to editorial changes upon publication. You also confirm that you understand that the acceptance of this module by Insomnium Games neither creates nor implies any confidential relationship, guarantee of secrecy, nor any recognition of either novelty or originality, however, winners of the contest will be given full authorial credit for the module.

I'm not saying that this is somehow a bad deal for anybody interested, but it is clearly a non-independent endeavour, and thus probably outside the Forge's purview. It's probably also good to realize that the above wording transfers the IP to them whether you win or not, so in the worst case scenario the free game and credit will be your only reward.

Jennifer: I think that giving out free copies of the game on the side is an excellent way of raising interest in the game and the contest, I could imagine doing something similar myself. The only problematic aspect is that I'd feel bad if I participated, got my free book, and then found out that the game didn't interest me after all. Even if you didn't hold me onto writing a submission I'd feel bad for not being able to do it. But I guess this is a pretty unlikely eventuality.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Zahtevnik

Apologies on taking so long to reply to this.

We may need to add another paragraph/few sentences to the legalese. As a worst case scenario you don't win and your module isn't published by Insomnium Games. We won't be printing and making money on anything while only giving the writer a pat on the head and a thumb's up.

If we do end up publishing more than the initial three (there's a tie, someone resubits it a few months down the line for publication) then we'll make arrangements for a form of payment. Otherwise the legalese has been set up to cover us. It was written up after reading the legalese on a number of book/game contests that were similar.

As for feeling bad about accepting a free copy of the book, we're hoping people will give the demo on the site a peek first to see if it's something that interests them. Even afterwards if nothing comes out of it then there won't be any hard feelings and no one will be glowering; you paid the acceptable price of free for a game you'd never be using.

I hope this at least sheds some marginal light on the whole event. Give a kick if you have any other questions. Also, muy thanks for the compliment : )

Jennifer
Insomnium Games
http://insomniumgames.com