News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Universalis spotted in Forbidden Planet

Started by GB Steve, October 23, 2006, 10:47:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GB Steve

I was browsing in Forbidden Planet on Friday night. It's the largest comic book, DVD and genre fiction outlet in London. They have a selection of RPGs, about 3 IKEA Billy's worth, mostly d20 but with a selection of other things.

I was rather surprised to spot a copy of the latest edition of Universalis. It's the first real Indie game I've seen there. So kudos for breaking into the mainstream!

Salar

Nope, there's usually a copy of Sorcerer loitering there as well, trying to menace the D20 bullies.
John

Tony Irwin

Hooray!

A friend of mine spotted it in "Static" in Glasgow, Scotland, UK

They also stock Sorceror books.

Valamir

Thanks for the updates. 

Esdevium ordered a TON of indie games from Key20 in September including (quick check) 42 copies of Uni.  Hopefully those copies will fly off the shelves, the stores will demand more and in a couple months they'll put in another big order.   So far I've sold about 250 copies from July through September and about 2/3 of those have been to retailers or distributors so those store sales are really starting to add up. 

Mike Holmes

Huh, Steve, it looks like Forbidden Planet is foremost for the sale of collectables? Is that accurate? Is there another primarily gaming store in the area? Or is this the place to go for games as well.

What I'm trying to do is to gague just how unusual this might be as a place for Universalis to show up.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Alex F

It's  a comics, genre lit (mainly sci fi, fantasy, horror) and collectible toy shop; the go-to place for a poster of the glowing Alien egg, a foot-high diecast Ghost rider, or a new batch of Yu-gi-oh cards. Both Orc's Nest and Playin' Games are within 5-6 mins walk, but both pale in the presence of the Planet; it is a high profile store in a very prominent location (Shaftesbury Avenue). The rpg bit is precisely as Steve describes. I've seen Sorcerer and a few supplements there, but that's it for indie stuff. It's a good place to have landed!

If I were them, I would consider placing it away from the rpgs (as mentioned, they are an imposing wall of d20) and with some more random products, e.g. in the fiction section, as this would get more notice from your casual geek browser.

Mike Holmes

Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.