News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Alchemiae] Brainstorm

Started by Ancannios, October 30, 2006, 01:25:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ancannios

Hi to all here at the Forge.
First of all, this isn't completely a topic with precisely defined requests, so I hope the Forge will not decapitate me for spamming the boards.
Anyway, I just feel the unceasing urge to share my ideas and I feel that here is The place.

About the week ago I posted few ideas for my rpg. Since then, I got answers to my questions, I reworked my basic ideas and.... abandoned the project. For quite a few reasons:
a - the game's rules were getting complex beyond even my standards (and that is to say a lot, for I have a strange way of writing rules, so that when I am explaining the base principle of my game, in no less than an hour the most intelligent player begins to understand a little)
b - It wasn't original
c - My potential players were showing no signs of interest (they are right now completely happy with the czech ... adaptation of D&D - the Dragon's Den)

And so I thought for a while and remembered that they all show great interests in science and that most of our sessions begin with a battle for who will get to pick the Alchemist class.

So my idea is: an rpg, where the players take the roles of medieval / rennaissance (have to decide that yet) alchemists who strive to please their lords / blow up their lab / solve fundemental questions about the world / find a cure for the unstoppable plague / poison the king / whatever else. The biggest problems will of course be getting the resources or funds (the *rare herb* can only be found on the *scary name* cliff at midnight, just when the *monsters* up there are having a feast). I am thinking of expanding our planet's things (completely out of expressions today) of interest for an alchemist (magic, of course). I realize that I will have to read a lot of things (where in the name of Kaenaros is my vocabulary?) about medieval knowledge of science, but I am willing to suffer as much.

So, how does this sound? Are you interested, or did I bore you to death? Do you have any suggestions? I will be glad to hear everything.

Cheers,
Daniel

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

It sounds sorta like Ars Magica- which is a good thing.  Here's my suggestion at first blush:  during the character creation process, you need to have players pick one specific goal their character has.  The rest of the game should be about them working to reach that goal.  Whether it is shmoozing the local noble-patron guy, adventuring for rare herbs, or experimenting in the lab doesn't matter.  The mechanics only state achieve goal A; use any means.  The mechanics would also need to explicitly support and measure the character's progress toward the goal.  Use of points or other currency of some kind is encouraged.

A question I'd like to ask is "Is there a GM in your game?"  If so, how does he introduce complications to the PCs' goals and desires?

Peace,

-Troy

Joshua A.C. Newman

I dig the color, sure.

The way you explain it, though, the alchemy is an excuse to do other things. Figure out what those other things are, and stuff will start falling into place for you.

Alternately, you could figure out some archetypal things that alchemists were seeking — perfection of the soul, the alchemical marraige, whatever. Then figure out what gets in the way of them achieving that.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

TroyLovesRPG

Traditionally, alchemists spent their lives in search of the philosopher's stone. The substance could not only transmute lead into gold, but prolong life and confer unknown powers onto the user. Along the way, they learned about true chemistry and scientific principles. Unfortunately, fact-based knowledge was contradictory to their mystical goals. Alchemists are secretive individuals who seldom speak of their activities. Branded as heresy, their lives are shrouded in mystery, yet they are called upon to perform tasks of great importance.

I can see a game based on this, and it does remind me of Ars Magica, too. As the alchemists work to achieve their goals, they stumble upon formulas that produce certain effects. This tome of prescriptions is valuable and well-guarded. Its possible when a character determines a formula and its effect, that defines a new potion/power and the GM records it. As other characters try different combinations, the master tome is consulted to see if that formula is discovered. Alchemists begin to compete for precious ingredients, especially when the formula is a potent one. Those formulas serve as a base for more special ones and that furthers the need to find new ingredients and knowledge.

The alchemists may venture out to peddle their goods or announce their services. The reaction to this introduction could foster good will or a lynch mob. Its all in the mix.

Troy

Ancannios

And that, Troy (the one who loves rpg), is exactly what was running through my head when I thought of the game.
I have just downloaded the 4th edition rulebook of Ars Magica for inspiration and to avoid too much similarity (both at once :). I have also looked up a few alchemistic web sites and got completely lost in the tons of informations :-/....
Anyway, I shall keep you informed about any ideas, once I get them.

Cheers,
Daniel

TroyLovesRPG

Hello Daniel,

You've definitely chosen a very interesting, laborious and ultimately satisfying project. Alchemy is referenced in hundereds of popular books recording the historical significance through the ages. It ties into every facet of society: science, economics, politics and religion to name a few. I hope you can capture the Roman, medieval or Renaissance flavors of the alchemical lifestyle all the way through the late 1600's. I definitely look forward to this thread, too.

I suggest you do the reasearch and gather all information from public domain sources, maintain your bibliography and stay away from games. Seriously, Ars Magica has that romantic flavor, but refrain from using that one or any game for inspiration. There are enough non-fiction sources to keep you busy. Delve into the life of the alchemist based on historical fact and build from there.

Have you thought about the goals of the game?

Troy