News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Misery Bubblegum] Character before conflict

Started by TonyLB, October 25, 2006, 09:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

Well, Steve ... what you're talking about looks very much like conflict, yes?

I sorta know conflict, backwards and forwards.  I'd like to stop staring at it for a few moments, look around, see what else is out there and how I can use it.

Do your techniques touch on those other things?
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Steven Stewart

Hmm...I am missing something. I don't think they are about conflict, I think they are about character. But maybe I am missing something and they are not helpful. If so then move on. I will try one more time to show how I think it is about character and your example about daily life. I am not going to use jargon, just my words at looking at it.

Lets take...me. I am a boring individual . I mean I am RL, I am not a ninja or anything. Let me put me into my system.

External Theme - Bring home the bacon. Continue working for the man, and bring home a phat salary to support family
Internal Theme - How can I continue to work for the man when I hate it so much and it conflicts with my personal views on christiantiy and the evilness of capitalism and the fortune 500?

Now I think that desribes who I am. There is no conflict there perse, it is what my being is, is the lens that I see my life through in every moment. Perhaps it is simplified a bit, I could eloborate, but for my system I want it to be managable (it is for a game after all) so maybe for another person you could expland. But clearly (at least to me) I don't see conflict, I see rather character viewpoint would be interesting to explore through whatever. Take that character and perhaps put them in a sci-fi setting, or put them in a fantasy setting or a modern one, doesn't matter.

Perhaps we are getting caught up in different terms. Are you talking about something like character traits? Like what traits make for interesting characters?  (not in a mechanics means but in a describe this person in a paragraph of less to your friends, the back jacket blurb as it were).

If somehow my post and this one aren't helping, then ignore and move on. Its not going to be productive if I think I am talking about a carrot and you think I am talking about blue.

Steve,

"Reach out your hand if your cup be empty, if your cup is full may it be again"

http://www.freewebs.com/blamdesign/index.htm