News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

1st Transatlantic Setting Design Challenge starting NOW

Started by Frank T, November 16, 2006, 03:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam!

"Lords & Ladies" with Dust Devils, provided Matt Snyder has nothing against it.
Gotta to go back to study Jane Austen's fiction.
Sami Koponen

DevP

Hans

Quote from: Sam! on November 23, 2006, 01:20:37 PM

This makes my proposed entry seem tawdry and boring to me.  I eagerly await this.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

Eero Tuovinen

Great to see Sami here and now. Welcome to the Forge! I'll take the liberty of introducing Sami as I know him better than most here: he's a Finnish rpg hobbyist with plenty of interesting ideas, a good hand for journalistic writing, high zeal for indie gaming and a pleasing manner. If you get an opportunity to play with him, do so. I couldn't imagine a better complement for the European team in this competition, even if his posited setting idea has to be implemented with a crowbar.

My actual purpose for posting is to declare my own setting, which now it seems I might end up writing after all. Atlas is basicly what you get by smashing together Polaris and Atlas Shrugged, and it's looking pretty good right now, no crowbar necessary. I'll give it a 85% probability for getting finished with all the Christmas-related hurries.

Also, the mandatory smack-talk inspired by Frank's name for the contest: looking at the reservations to date it seems that we'll make this a crushing triple or quadruple victory (depending on how many of us actually finish) for the eastern side of Atlantic, proving once and for all where the art of prose writing was first conceived. Current estimations place the American team somewhere between "no chances" and "good try", I hear from the bookers.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Ben Lehman

Quote from: Sam! on November 23, 2006, 01:20:37 PM

Sami!  Welcome to the Forge.  What a first post.

I'm giving my entry, "Home of the Brave," a %50 chance of finishing.  It's an alternate history America set in 1923, just after the Great War that divided the continent has finally subsided.  It will use the Anthology Machine for a system.

yrs--
--Ben

redivider

Time permitting, I will try to put together a setting on the effervescent and bloody effects of gold and cocaine production/distribution in Colombia and beyond. The title will be something like White & Gold. I have Jared Sorerson's permission to reference the Lacuna system for this setting.

Sam!

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on November 24, 2006, 10:39:42 AM
a good hand for journalistic writing (--) and a pleasing manner.

I really don't know who he's talking about ;-)

Anyway, Snyder gave me green light, so Lords & Ladies it is.
Sami Koponen

Anna Kreider

I going to throw my hat into the ring, as it were with a setting at least partly based on the Crusades against Palestine; I haven't decided how historical or not this is going to be. I plan on using Polaris for the system (unless Ben Lehman has any strenuous objections).

Question about the rules of the challenge here: Are illustrations permitted? If so, are there limitations on number, type? Not that I'd go crazy or anything, but I didn't see a mention of that in the rules.

~Anna

Frank T

Yes yes yes! Anna, illustrate the shit out of the rest of us! Ben has already given green light for Polaris. And don't you dare not follow up on that announcement!

- Frank

Eero Tuovinen

Hmm... it seems I'm at a serious disadvantage, having chosen Polaris before seeing how popular it'd prove. If I didn't believe in setting and system being star-crossed lovers I'd be shopping for a replacement now that Polaris is becoming such a common courtship. Perhaps we should just publish the Polaris settings as a collection and reap in the profits.

Anyway, I'm fully intending to fix me some illustrative graphics for Atlas myself, so feel free to complain about the unfair advantage people with existing production lines have over the hoi polloi. I'm also going to lay it out in the same format Polaris is in, so nyah nyah. If this weren't transatlantic I'd probably print a copy for each judge, just to finally get my taste of sweet victory in one of these challenges. But then, I tend to get a bit competitive, it's half the fun.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Ben Lehman

Wow.  That's really cool.

If people want to do a Polaris anthology or publish individually, I'm generally cool with all options and happy to do any facilitation / coordination needed.

yrs--
--Ben

Dirk Ackermann

I do not know what I am doing here right now, but...

Count me in.

My system will be TRoS, if I get the O.K. from the Driftwoods and I am doing a little tweaking here and there.

The worktitel is "The beast without a time" and basically it is the clash of two cultures, one is near its extinction, both are to the bones exhausted and, because of this near endless war, have established very radical political and cultural systems.

And the players will not have anything to laugh at all.

I hope my time allows me to do it until it is ready.

MfG

Dirk
In which way are you lucky?

Graham W

Dirk: cool!.

I did post this in the Story Games thread, but just to keep all the entries in one place: here's my entry, Darker, a setting for The Shab al-Hiri Roach.

Graham

Graham W

Paul's Girl

This challenge sounds so good that even I found myself thinking of games to adapt. The easiest person I can borrow a game from is Paul so my contribution is a setting for "Nicotine Girls" based on the movie "Fight Club" and is right now titled "First Rule". I admit that I am making this easy for myself, as NG only has about 800 words. Hopefully I can add to the word count a little.

-Danielle
A haiku inspired by Gen Con 2002:

Oh, Great Bowl of dice
Unearth the die of my dreams
Wicked 12 sider

-D