News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

1st Transatlantic Setting Design Challenge starting NOW

Started by Frank T, November 16, 2006, 03:34:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben Lehman

Mikael: are you Mikael Honkala, who Eero and I met when I was in Helsinki?

Let's move discussion of Polaris minisupplement publication (anthological or otherwise) into e-mail.  If you are not that person, please send me your e-mail address.  Mine is taogames@gmail.com .  Likewise, I know I have the e-mail for Eero and Anna, but if you guys would rather I used a different address for business let me know.

As far as judging goes, I'm not totally clear on what my responsibilities are.  Should I be judging games related to my own?  Or not?

yrs--
--Ben

Eero Tuovinen

Yes, that Mikael, now I remember! Ben obviously has a better head for Fins than I do. I blame the fact that I meet, like, two or three magnitudes more of them than he ever does. Now I'm wondering how Mikael's been doing with Polaris; obviously rather well, considering that he writes a respectable "I'm more Ben than Ben" style.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Sam!

Wow, I got to judge four settings for games, which I have either played just a few times (Polaris & Under the Bed) or have never seen before (Contenders & The Shab-al-Hiri Roach). Luckily I got at least some drafts from the game design contests, even if there is not enough time to actually playtest this stuff. I really hope that there will be a thread for each setting as the written feedback is probably more useful than cold, unexplained numbers.
Sami Koponen

Ben Lehman

I will be starting a thread for each of the Polaris-based games.  I will also be starting other threads for the games I'm judging if such threads don't yet exist.

yrs--
--Ben

Rich Stokes

Quote from: Ben Lehman on January 02, 2007, 06:09:00 PM
I will be starting a thread for each of the Polaris-based games.  I will also be starting other threads for the games I'm judging if such threads don't yet exist.

I assume such threads should go here in the Endeavour forum?  Or am I being a total chimp?
The poster previously known as RichKS

Eero Tuovinen

Quote from: Rich Stokes on January 03, 2007, 04:34:12 AM
I assume such threads should go here in the Endeavour forum?  Or am I being a total chimp?

That would be the case, yes. Not only is it becoming something of a counter-rule for Endeavour to be used as a game design forum, in this case we're actually talking about an Endeavour project itself. I'll be starting some threads about the games I reviewed when I have the time.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.

Malcolm Craig

Quote from: Eero Tuovinen on January 03, 2007, 06:35:14 AM
Quote from: Rich Stokes on January 03, 2007, 04:34:12 AM

That would be the case, yes. Not only is it becoming something of a counter-rule for Endeavour to be used as a game design forum, in this case we're actually talking about an Endeavour project itself. I'll be starting some threads about the games I reviewed when I have the time.

Likewise. Getting constructive feedback on setting elements would be a very useful exercise for all the entries. I'm in the process of reading and cogitating my four at the moment and fully intend to offer some detailed thoughts on each of them, either by starting threads on contributing to those started by others. As Ben is doing with the Polaris entries, I hope that some of the authors of the original game mechanics will chip in with their thoughts as well. I know that Joe Prince has certainly been very supportive of Revolutionaries and Umlaut during their creation.

Cheers
Malcolm
Malcolm Craig
Contested Ground Studios
www.contestedground.co.uk

Part of the Indie Press Revolution

StefanS

As you might have noticed, I didn't find the time to write up my submission. (Quite a shame - I always liked to write something Swashbucklerish for Wushu, and I'd liked to contribute something for a Non-Forge-system, just for mixing up a bit.)
I hope I find at least the time to comment on the other entries...

- Stefan