News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Keeping the group positive

Started by David C, December 01, 2006, 02:01:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David C

It is a simple question, but a difficult answer. How do you keep your playtesting group positive? Does it depend on the group, or does it come natural?

...but enjoying the scenery.

timfire

What do you mean? Are you having issues? If so, could you describe the situation?
--Timothy Walters Kleinert

TroyLovesRPG

Hello David,

I was part of a playtesting group many years ago. I played through an adventure that a friend and very good DM created. The group was positive because we were excited for his endeavour. As we played through the adventure it was becoming a chore. Playtesting actually became work and I was among a few of the players who were getting frustrated with the whole process. We would play through a part of the dungeon, stop then review what happened. I found it distracting and began to lose interest. I wouldn't call it a negative experience, but I don't think it was a true playtesting session.

I was part of another group who playtested a module for Silent Death (space combat). That session had good structure and less distractions. One person actually recorded the events and important comments as the game progressed. There were some simple questions about clarity, challenge and fun. Since the game continued with very little interference, the playing was more natural. The results of the playtesting were useful for the author.

I'm sure there are many methods for playtesting a game, and the structure depends on the nature of the game and the participants.

I have the same questions for you as Tim does.

Troy

David C

Well, I was having a couple issues. As the game has moved into a more solid form, they've gone away. I think the biggest problems I've seen were players becoming uninterested, and players unwilling to accept changes. My first problem is probably exactly what Troy described. The second problem has to do with people who want to hold onto *whichever too good item/spell/power* that was toned down, or made harder to use (higher skill level.)  Also, I think as I wear onto my 9th month of the game, some people are confused by which rules are current, and which are not.

In general, playtesting is difficult, but I'm sure theres ways to do "damage" control.
...but enjoying the scenery.