News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

SotC Defense

Started by Uruush, November 18, 2006, 03:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uruush

Forgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.

Each combat skill is balanced against another.

Guns: offense, range, explicitly no defense, need to have a gun on you.
Weapons: offense, limited range, defense, need to have a weapon on you.
Fists: offense, no range, defense, nothing else required, may have defensive penalties against Weapons in some cases.

Do you use Athletics as defense against Guns, or can you use Weapons or Fists as defense against Guns?  My reading implies that you can use these in defense against Guns, but that seems conceptually odd:

Down at the harbor, "Tommy Gun" Flynn is laying down a Great carpet of lead from three zones away for Joe "One Punch" Johnson, a slow, but hard-hitting bruiser.  Is Johnson, an Average Athlete, in big trouble, or does his Superb Fists Skill somehow carry the day?

iago

Quote from: Uruush on November 18, 2006, 03:32:09 PMForgive me if this has been answered elsewhere.

Forgive me for taking forever to notice it!  For some reason, I didn't receive a notification of this new topic.

QuoteEach combat skill is balanced against another.

Guns: offense, range, explicitly no defense, need to have a gun on you.
Weapons: offense, limited range, defense, need to have a weapon on you.
Fists: offense, no range, defense, nothing else required, may have defensive penalties against Weapons in some cases.

Correct -- though in play I almost never apply those defensive penalties unless someone makes a point of it through the application of maneuvers.

QuoteDo you use Athletics as defense against Guns, or can you use Weapons or Fists as defense against Guns?  My reading implies that you can use these in defense against Guns, but that seems conceptually odd:

Down at the harbor, "Tommy Gun" Flynn is laying down a Great carpet of lead from three zones away for Joe "One Punch" Johnson, a slow, but hard-hitting bruiser.  Is Johnson, an Average Athlete, in big trouble, or does his Superb Fists Skill somehow carry the day?

All "defense" means "defense against all forms of physical attack", period.  If you're having a "conceptually odd" reaction to this, then, your concept of what the Fists skill represents is too narrow.  Fists isn't "how well do you punch things".  Fists is "how well do you handle yourself in a fight when you're armed with only your fists".  So it incorporates the ideas of attacker-awareness, of fancy footwork, of *dodging and ducking*.

Think of it this way: There's a 'Defense' skill which you can't ever take, but which defaults to your highest rating in the following: Athletics, Fists, Weapons.  This is a "give the victims the greatest possible benefit" approach, and it's intentional.