News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[SOTC] Aspects and Consequences

Started by dbisdorf, September 13, 2006, 12:33:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hudson Shock

Quote from: iago on September 26, 2006, 01:43:28 AM
I take a "Bruised and Battered" consequence.

Then I invoke it and say to the GM, "This pain... only makes me madder!"  Maybe the GM agrees.  And there's my +2.

I've just noticed that this mildly confllicts with the "Now You've Made Me Mad" stunt on pg 155 of the pdf:
Quote"Once per scene, the character may turn a wound he has taken into pure
motivation. After the character takes physical stress, spend a fate point and
the character gets to add the value of the wound (the original value, not the
box it was recorded in, if it rolled to a different box) to an action in the next
exchange taken against the person who inflicted the stress."

... in that Fred's idea is, overall, more powerful than the stunt.  The stunt is usable once per scene, whereas Fred can Invoke his Bruised Aspect as often as he likes.  They both require a FP.  The Stunt will give a bigger bonus sometimes, but sometimes a smaller one.  And lastly, the Stunt is usable only against the person who inflicted the Stress, whereas the Invoked Aspect is usable against anybody.  If I, as a player, had taken "Now You've Made Me Mad" as a Stunt, I'd feel a little robbed by someone being able to Invoke an Aspect like this.  And yet, I don't think that Invoking an Aspect like this is all that unreasonable.

This just goes back to my problem with the long list of Stunts.  I think SotC is a fantastic game and I can't wait to run it.  But, as I've stated before, I think Stunts could have been done better.  As it is, there are just too many situations where, unless the GM has memorized all of the Stunts, he'll allow an Aspect use that steps on or nerfs a Stunt.  I understand this won't bother many or most people, but it does bother me.  I don't expect anything to change - I just wanted to be heard.  Thanks.

drnuncheon

Quote from: Hudson Shock on October 07, 2006, 03:50:12 PM
... in that Fred's idea is, overall, more powerful than the stunt.  The stunt is usable once per scene, whereas Fred can Invoke his Bruised Aspect as often as he likes.

On the other hand, taking "Bruised and Battered" as a consequence means it can be tagged by other people - any time your opponent wants a bonus or a reroll against you, well, he's got that Bruised and Battered to use.  NYMMM only requires a stress box be checked off, which means you're not making yourself vulnerable to do it  - you have complete control of the situation.

J

Hudson Shock

John Harper

Yep. As was pointed out in the RPGnet thread, Aspects are more broad and easier to apply, but they're double-edged swords. Stunts never work against you.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

iago

Folks have already addressed this, but my intention with Now You've Made Me Mad is that you're going to use it with a 3, 4, 5, or more stress box, giving you a HUGE bonus for one FP.  Consider a guy who's peaked Endurance at Superb.  He has stress boxes numbered up through eight.

Now consider him having the Now You've Made Me Mad stunt.  He fights and fights, and gets nailed, ultimately, with an 8-stress box checkoff hit.

Then he spends a fate point.

And gets +8 on his attack in response to it.

That's way powerful, and is the "zone" that I sorta expect the stunt to work in.