News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Trolbabe] making it cyberpunk setting ?

Started by MacTele, November 11, 2006, 11:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MacTele

As i wrote here i was looking for good cyberpunk system when i found The Forge. I still think about running good cyberpunk game but i feel there is no system good for my needs out there. Now when we play Trollbabe and i have ideas for next sessions i start to think about preparing for my cyberpunk game. I think that Trollbabe is very good system for what i want but there are some "buts" abaut cyberpunking it. My idea is to play cyberpunk more less as it is in Ghost in the shell Stand Alone Complex, which is very similar to Trollbabe (PCes would be cyybered and biowered agents of special agency to fight with cyber/biowere crime, and would have to judge new siuation every session). I am sure i want to make it narrative, conflictt resolution and so on but i want to put some color into it, too. And i want to have some inner isuees in PCes also. In my idea would be still one number and from it: fight, social and nethacking. What do You think about it ? Any advices and maybe i should pllay some more games and work on my own narrative cyberpunk system along. What do You think ?

James_Nostack

Hi Maciej, 

I've been thinking about running a Trollbabe sci-fi game for a few months; I gave up on it after a little while. 

I think the Scale of the adventures could be very interesting--maybe the characters are investigating a conspiracy, that starts with an individual crime, and then involves the entire town, and then the entire nation? 

QuoteI still think about running good cyberpunk game but i feel there is no system good for my needs out there .  . . I am sure i want to make it narrative, conflictt resolution and so on but i want to put some color into it, too. And i want to have some inner isuees in PCes also.

"Primetime Adventures" or "Shock: Social Science-Fiction" might work, if you're interested: they're simple, use 'conflict resolution,' involve a lot of color from the players, and focus both on individual issues and social problems. 

Of course, if you want to design your own system, the Forge has folders for that too, and people can give you some good advice if you want...
--Stack

W. Don

Hi MacTele,

I'm not familiar with Trollbabe (but would like to get my hands on one, err, it) so I wouldn't know how easy it will be to adapt to a cyberpunk setting. However, I've quickly scanned your recent posts and, while it doesn't seem that you have Sorcerer yet, I think you'll find that it's a great fit for a Ghost In The Shell: SAC type game.

If and when you do get Sorcerer, and would like to make a cyberpunk game out of it, I'd be more than happy to bang ideas around with you. In the meantime, best wishes for your Trollbabe efforts.

— W.

(PS: Wow. My first Forge post in quite a while. Pass the tequila, will ya Ron?)

Ron Edwards

Hi,

Nothing stops people from using Trollbabe for other settings and ideas, and I'm sure it's possible to have fun with it that way. Please feel free to try if you'd like. However, the current design of the game is aimed directly at its current concept and setting, so I can't help you with rules or concepts or advice for play if you do.

Best, Ron

MacTele

I am tring to buy Sorcerer but it is not as easy as You may think, here in Poland. Esdevium (which is supposed to sell it) which sends games to my local store didn't have it last week so maybe next week or later... nobody knows. From what i know Sorcerer is a very good RPG :)

Ron Edwards

Hi Maciej,

There may be an easy solution. I will be in Berlin in December, and although my schedule is a little full, I think I may be able to send you a copy of Sorcerer from there. Please contact me at sorcerer@sorcerer-rpg.com, and we can discuss this.

Best, Ron

Danny_K

This thread has gotten me thinking quite a bit about how one might do this.  However in light of this statement by Ron, the boss of this forum:
QuoteNothing stops people from using Trollbabe for other settings and ideas, and I'm sure it's possible to have fun with it that way. Please feel free to try if you'd like. However, the current design of the game is aimed directly at its current concept and setting, so I can't help you with rules or concepts or advice for play if you do.

I'd like to know if it is OK to reply to this thread to share my ideas on a non-canonical way to run this excellent game.
I believe in peace and science.

Ron Edwards

Go ahead if you like. I won't be able to contribute effectively, and I'm not especially sympathetic, but I won't shut it down either.

Best, Ron