News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Donjon] Hyrule as a setting...

Started by The Dragon Master, December 30, 2006, 04:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dragon Master

I was looking through the forums and saw this suggested. I went home last night and found my old Ocarina of Time Players Guide and have started working on it. I'll list things in this format Item: Ability - Stats.
Boomerang: Stun -
Bomb: Explode - Close Range
Bombchu: Explode - 2 Actions Away
Slingshot:
Decu Nut: Stun -
Lense of Truth: See Hidden -
Bow:
Megaton Hammer: Smash -
Hookshot: Pull Light Object Toward Heavy One - One Action Away
Longshot: Pull Light Object Toward Heavy One - Two Actions Away
Fire Arrow: Burn -
Ice Arrow: Bone Chill -
Light Arrow: Illuminate -
Dins Fire: Friendly Fire -
Nayru's Love: Protect From Harm -
Farores Wind: Warp Back -
Small Sword:
Big Goron Sword:
Wooden Shield:
Steel Shield:
Bottle:
Gorons Bracelet: Increase Strength -
Silver Gauntlets: Strength of an Army -
Gold Gauntlets: Move Mountains -
Silver Scale: Dive Deep -
Gold Scale: Reach Bottom -
Zora Tunic: Breathe Under Water -
Gorons Tunic: Walk Through Fire -
Iron Boots: Increase Weight -
Winged Heels: Light as a Feather -
Mirror Shield: Reflect Light, Illuminate Evil -
Stone of Agony: Shake When Near Hidden Things -

As you can see I have only just begun, but I'll keep this updated as I get more finished (specifically the stats). I plan to use this as the setting for a first run with my players, so I'll be renaming things to hide it from them (otherwise they are liable to throw their successes together and have Link go running by and drop Dins Fire in the middle of a Donjon. Though he will make a few appearances in the story. I plan for him to be the kicker. They all live in the... Forgot the name of the city just outside the gates of Hyrule... whatever that city is called. They see him go running past and... I think I'll have the whole thing take place while he is asleep, with them preparing things for his awakening. Might add a nice change to the feel (In other words, they're not the savior who was prophesied, they are the ones preparing the way for him. John the Baptist rather than Yehoshua the Messiah). If anyone can help me fill in the blanks on abilities I would appreciate it, but I'll be working on it either way and keeping this list up to date.
"You get what everone gets. You get a lifetime." -Death of the Endless
The names Tony

Sorcerer Workshop, Phoenix Comicon, May 27th - 30th 2010

The Dragon Master

Alright, couldn't figure out how to edit my last post so I'll just add on the info here.

Wooden Shield - DR 1 - worth 1
Steel Shield - DR 2 - worth 2
Short Sword - DR 1 - worth1
Giants Knife - DR 2 - worth 2
Big Gorons Sword - DR 3 - worth 3
Zoras Tunic - Swim like a Fish 4 (+8)  Breathe Underwater 3 (+6) DR 3 - worth 17 (yes I stole this one from the core book)
Gorons Tunic - Resistant to Fire 3 (+6) DR 3 - worth 9

I'll post more later
The names Tony

The Dragon Master

Rather than retyping corrections for stuff that has already been posted, I will just post a link to the file that I am storing all of this information in. Does anyone know when Editing of posts will be turned on again? Here is the link
The names Tony

The Dragon Master

I just updated the file in the link. I realize that I don't yet have the scenes finished, still need to get the rolls marked in there. The problem I am running into is finding a way to work scenes in that aren't just fighting. Maybe this is due to the way I remember the game playing out, or perhaps due to a lack of experience in GMing. So I bow to the superior experience of those in the forum on this matter. I figure the forest, and forest maze chapters are easy enough to work more... puzzle-like scenes in, but the tough chapters seem to be the journey across the plains, and inside of the city ruins. Seems like most of what I come up with are ambushes (one way or the other). Any suggestions?
The names Tony

The Dragon Master

I updated the file again. If anyone has any comments on it, or suggestions for new scenes, I would appreciate any help I can get. I have finished a couple of the opponents the PC's will face and (based on the skills my players have chosen) will be adding in a character for them to meet up with. His main ability will be "Can Get Anything", and I'll probably be min-maxing him since they will really need someone with that ability since none of their characters have abilities that would so much as help them find a tree in a forest.
The names Tony

Twobirds

This is pretty neat, the jRPG games I played on my old Gameboy would work really well in Donjon, since the weapons are really obviously sequential in power and not much else.

As for other encounters: Since there's a lot of fighting anyway, you could throw in some fights where you don't really WANT to fight.  Enraged bear with a thorn in his paw, and all that.  I try to keep in mind that players should solve problems, and not necessarily fight them.

I don't really get "Can Get Anything", though.  Do you mean like a wandering peddler with an Extradimensional Cart?

George

The Dragon Master

"Can Get Anything" is meant to work along those lines. The scene in which he appears (which isn't in the updated file yet) is he is wandering towards town to sell his goods (maybe he has a few rumors for them to follow). As they run past, they knock him down and his stuff goes everywhere. If they help him pick up the mess, he follows them, and can help them with there adventures (if they need a lockpick, and can't find one, he digs through his pack to get them one). As for the bear idea, that is along the lines of what I was thinking. Although I am more leaning towards environmental factors that have to be worked around (i.e, the pit trap in the core book).
The names Tony

The Dragon Master

I have just updated the most current iteration of the file. I really would like some feedback on this since I'll be running it in the next week or two and am trying to get it finalized. Still haven't added in the merchant yet. I'm trying to figure out how he fits into everything still. 

Any thoughts on this?
The names Tony

The Dragon Master

I have a tentative iteration of it finished at home. It should work well enough for the first game. I'll try to get it posted up here in the next day or so (not that it matters since no one else appears to be following this). It will have a different link than the other one since it will be a pdf, but other than that it will mostly be a compilation of all the notes that I have lying around on it. I have included a couple of siege weapons in the item list since one of my players has insisted on a skill involving siege weapons. I also have included a sword called the "Sword of the Storm" as per another players request (and description). Other than that, I have renamed the Gorons to the Goons, and the Zoras have been renamed the Fish Folk. I also renamed the spells given by the great fairy's. Anyway, I'll have it posted probably by this time tomorrow.
The names Tony

The Dragon Master

Here's the link to the latest version of Part One (Dealing with reacquisition of the Emerald of Courage). Since there doesn't seem to be any interest in this, I won't bother posting Parts Two or Three. No sense wasting the space.
The names Tony