News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2007] The plan for this year - important

Started by Ron Edwards, January 07, 2007, 08:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinB

That completely answered my question, Ron. Thanks!
I was concerned that, because IPR would be handling the stock for the booth as well as acting as sponsor, that only IPR clients would be welcome. Not sure yet whether I'll be using IPR or Key20, or if either will want me, since we go into layout within the next week or two.
Check out Fae Noir, a game of 1920's fantasy. http://greenfairygames.com

spaceanddeath

Hi Ron,

Last year before I got swallowed by India, I asked you:

"I make wet-form leather masks that I've been told are pretty darn good. I was wondering - would I be able to sell these as well - by putting up a single display wall or section that would make for interesting decoration and draw, as well as being sold as product?"

At the time, you and Luke were interested, but it wasn't doable because there was too much going on. Any feeling on this for this year? I figured I'd ask now because I'd need time to ramp up production for this summer.

Cheers,

~Mo

Travis Brown

The one question I have and didn't divine the answer from the posts thus far is this: If you are not an IPR client as of yet and buy into booth space to demo and sell your game, and IPR handles the actual ring ups, how do financials and product logistics work? Does IPR takes their commission for handling the sales transactions and you bring the product for them to sell at the show and lug the remaining stock home with you?

I'm new, never been to the forge booth (because I've only been to origins and GTS) but my understanding is that the forge booth has a big demo space where you sit and handle your game (and whatever else) while there is a section that handles sales transactions for the product (all in the same booth) Is this how it works or has someone hit me with a stupid stick?

Ron Edwards

Hi Mo, hi Travis,

Let's see ...

Mo, I'm regretfully inclined to say not. But ... um, h'mmm. What would you think of displaying only one mask at a time? This is also clearly something that needs an "all primary sponsors" check too.

Travis, it works along these lines.

1. Most of the booth space is not enclosed and has many small tables set up with chairs. About a quarter, maybe a little more of the 20' x 20' space will be retail space, with racks, cash register, and associated stuff.

2. In the demo space, people will run short demonstrations of their games, more like the CCG companies do - play a hand or two until you grasp the basics, then fold up shop and ask you to buy it, rather than playing out a full game. It is expected from everyone at the booth that they play in one another's demos and learn each other's games, so that by the last couple of days, you can probably show the basics for a few other games besides your own.

3. In general, the booth should have an atmosphere of welcome. A person arriving should not be barraged with pitches, but rather should be asked what sort of games they like and directed toward the titles they might enjoy most, or a person who might be best suited to talk further. On the other hand, it is a sales space and should not become merely a hang-out zone either.

4. The primary sponsors pay for the booth up-front. If we get the early price, it costs $2400, split among us. The buy-in people's $100 and $200 fees are then split among them to defray that cost. Everyone gets an exhibitor badge.

5. All transactions are handled at the cash register. Each company gets all the money for its books sold, less IPR's commission. (Brennan might weigh in regarding the percentages for this year, for IPR clients and non-clients.)

6. A given person is asked to participate at the booth for half a day, each day of the con. Also, everyone is required to be at the booth before the exhibit hall opens to the public each day, and at the end of the exhibit hours each day; setup and shutdown require a lot of help and often important announcements or hassles get handled then.

7. It's important to arrive early, specifically the day before the con starts, to help with setup and to start getting acquainted with one another and with the games. There's also a party for the Diana Jones Award each year that is often well-attended by Forge booth folks, but some people like to relax the night before or work on their demos together instead. Typically people join up for lunch and dinner a lot, and one great tradition has begun in which people go to a certain hotel lobby during the evenings for more free-for-all gaming and discussions.

How's that for an overview? Each numbered item includes lots of details I've left out, but that's pretty much the big picture.

Best, Ron

spaceanddeath

Quote from: Ron Edwards on January 09, 2007, 07:27:09 PMMo, I'm regretfully inclined to say not. But ... um, h'mmm. What would you think of displaying only one mask at a time? This is also clearly something that needs an "all primary sponsors" check too.

That'd be cool. It would change the way I produce them in preparation for the con, because I would be inclined to make more intricate, elaborate or impressive masks. In short, I'd bring fewer, and mostly only those in the higher end range.

It occurs to me as I get the mental picture you're painting for Travis... if there are racks, depending on what kind they are and if the owners are willing (I'd need some dimensions, and maybe a picture), I could probably design something simple yet effective to attach to the top of them to display two masks back to back without commandeering any already existing space.

Of course, if the primary sponsors aren't for it, that's cool too. I'd just like to know the answer and the rules for it before, say, April, for stock planning purposes.

Brennan Taylor

Mo: the only concern I would have is display space for these. Everyone always wants to put up posters and banners and we had very little room for them last year. Also, some t-shirts we had for sale did very poorly because they were hard to see.

Regarding posters in general, I hope to have some display area this year, and we will be trying to arrange the "store" space to be a bit better for the traffic patterns of browswers and those waiting to buy without cutting into demo space. This will get hashed out as time gets closer, but everyone who wants to bring a poster will need to let me know, and there will be size restrictions.

I'll post about percentages in a little bit.

Ron Edwards

I'm gonna be a bastard about posters. My current thinking is primary sponsors only.

Best, Ron

Travis Brown

Hey thanks, that hashes it out very clearly and sound slike I've always imagined and heard about. Sounds great.

As far as banners are concerned, as you stated it's an enclosed 20X20 booth, presumably outlined with 3" stanchion skirt holders (black curtain border) and opened on a couple sides, right? What about having a set standard of 2' x 3" vinyl banners for each participant all printed by the same people for uniformity and spaced evently around the outside of the skirt wall? Lance Willians at Avalon Innovations does amazing vinyl banners for dirt cheap (my last 2'X3' cost like $6 or something) Something to think about, assuming the primary sponsors are placing their banners in the retail area and on the back of the stock area wall and not utilizing this area already.

Brennan Taylor

The area is completely open except for the back wall, so no skirt. I'll back Ron on restricting posters to primary sponsors only.

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: Brennan Taylor on January 10, 2007, 07:00:47 AM
The area is completely open except for the back wall, so no skirt. I'll back Ron on restricting posters to primary sponsors only.

I third this. The last two years, posters have been a big deal to handle, and with no malice, I'll say that they always ended up looking poor by the end of day 2 - there's so many that they sag and hang inconsistently.

I guarantee you guys - especially you new guys - that having your game there, in the midst of the frenzy of activity, will sell it better than any poster will.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

Quote1. Most of the booth space is not enclosed and has many small tables set up with chairs. About a quarter, maybe a little more of the 20' x 20' space will be retail space, with racks, cash register, and associated stuff.....The primary sponsors pay for the booth up-front. If we get the early price, it costs $2400, split among us. The buy-in people's $100 and $200 fees are then split among them to defray that cost. Everyone gets an exhibitor badge.

-I have a question about this.  Is the booth size going to be 10'x20 or 20'x20'?

Peace,

-Troy

Ron Edwards

Hi Troy,

It's four booth spaces: 20' by 20'. Since it's all Forge/IPR this year, the demo space will be bigger than last year and the retail space will be more navigable, maybe even with an exit point (plenty of time for figuring that out; no suggestions at this time please).

Best, Ron

Travis Brown

Quote from: Clinton R. Nixon on January 10, 2007, 07:39:04 AM
Quote from: Brennan Taylor on January 10, 2007, 07:00:47 AM

I guarantee you guys - especially you new guys - that having your game there, in the midst of the frenzy of activity, will sell it better than any poster will.

Oh I don't dispute that at all, and I;m sure that the mere presence of the people at the booth which is enormous and constant will do more to pull people in than banners will. I will say however that nicely made vinyl banners kick ass over any poster and always look nice and crisp. I would never hang a magazine or movie grade poster as booth dressing, it's so tackie... Anyways. I'll plan to come light then :)

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Numerous busy bees have rightly pointed out that I typed the wrong value for the four-booth space. It's $5335 An error of the fingers, this time.

Best, Ron

and I mistyped it again! Jeez. Now it's right. - RE

JustinB

Ron, new question. If we sign up strictly through you for our badges, how will we sign up for things like True Dungeon?
Check out Fae Noir, a game of 1920's fantasy. http://greenfairygames.com