News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Questions

Started by Uruush, January 09, 2007, 08:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Uruush

Hello again.  Pesky me.

1) Can stakes be whether a given PC feels a certain way about an issue against their player's inclination?

Example: "At stake is whether my character, Henry Stafford, convinces the intoxicated Professor Katherine Walsh (another PC) that she's unworthy of tenure."

2) Need every "What's at stake?" be about Reputation, or can you simply set stakes and wager Reputation and it's not really about Reputation as such?  The examples in the book, as I remember, might all influence a professor's Reputation on campus or in the community, either among students or their peers - even "Everything Else" examples.

Example: (No witnesses) Does Team Captain William True wrest the steering wheel from Katherine Walsh and steer them into a ditch?

Clinton R. Nixon

Uruush,

I think question 1 is opinion-based. I know I wouldn't allow it in my games, but I can see how it would work. I'm kind of rules-shy when it comes to changing character opinions. Changing actions, though is fine, like, "I convince Professor Walsh not to persue tenure."

As for question 2, you can definitely have scenes that aren't directly about Reputation - because everything ends up about reputation, anyway.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jason Morningstar

What Clinton said.  I've seen sessions where everyone was cool with allowing stakes to include changing player character attitudes.  I don't recommend it, but you'll arrive at your own community standards about what constitute reasonable stakes through play.  If you aren't used to stake-setting as a procedural element in your gaming, it can take some discussion during the game to find a balance everybody finds fun.