News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Wanted: Realistic War Game

Started by Totino, January 10, 2007, 11:52:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Totino

Hey,
I'm just curious if anyone out there is running a realistic war game based off of either World War II or the Vietnam War.
Thanks.

Clinton R. Nixon

Totino,

If you're here looking for a realistic miniatures or board game about war, you might be in the wrong place. If you're asking about a game that accurately depicts the emotional and physical trauma of war, then there's several games by forum participants that you might be especially interested in talking with them about. carry is supposed to be very good, and is specifically about Vietnam.

Historical wars haven't been touched in most RPGs, at least not without muting their cry by fantasying them up. These wars, which for so many of us, are part of our cultural identity, are tricky to touch. If you've got something you specifically want to see in a game about war, start a new topic and talk about that. You'd be surprised: we might talk you into writing it yourself.

Thanks,
Clinton

Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

coiledspring

He might want to use it for the combat bit of a WW II game that is in rpg mode not about combat. Try Crossfire it has the "feel" of realistic small arms combat at the company - scale.

Lacloix

I've recommended this game before to someone else asking about a WWII game. It's kind of rules-lite, but I think the overall game is able to capture the feel of WWII. Besides, being so rules-lite means that you can build on it if you want to flesh out the system.

Anyway, the game is 1940 - England Invaded, and it was made by Simon Washbourne for a 24-hour RPG project. I'd say it's worth checking out.