News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Donjon] The Hitchhikers Guide to the Donjon...

Started by The Dragon Master, January 17, 2007, 06:33:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dragon Master

Once I get my other setting for Donjon finished I plan to start this one. The basic idea is to take Donjon into the world of The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. I figure that the nature of the universe described in  Hitchhikers Guide, and the nature of the world developed in a game of Donjon, are fairly compatible. Would anyone be interested in this being posted to the board?
"You get what everone gets. You get a lifetime." -Death of the Endless
The names Tony

Sorcerer Workshop, Phoenix Comicon, May 27th - 30th 2010

quozl

--- Jonathan N.
Currently playtesting Frankenstein's Monsters

Hans

I was involved with a short-lived Space Opera Donjon game which had a bit of a Douglas Adams feel to it that might be useful to you.  I brought two things from the experience:

* Donjon is really, really good outside of combat for that kind of setting.  The very broad capability for character generation, the power of the magic rules to represent all kinds of weird science stuff, and the INCREDIBLE power of facts with relation to carefully chosen abilities (one character had "Interplanetary Encyclopedia" as an ability) worked very well together.

* Donjon is not so good whenever a true conflict situation involving combat comes up.  Donjon's combat is purposefully "old-school" in flavour, and while I personally enjoy it very much as written, I find that many players feel it is simply too slow.  If you have a lot of actions involved in a combat, some people may wait a LONG time between their turns.  As an example, in one combat I had four PC's (Disc. 5, 3, 2, and 6), and four swarms of miniature stinging Perfected Artifical Lifeforms (PaLs) attacking them with Disc 5).  This is a total of 36 actions within a flurry.  That means that for every turn the player with Discernment 3 took, they had to wait on average through 11 other actions.  That's a long wait.

If I were to restart this at some point in the future, it would be through some kind of hack to the Donjon system that replaced combat with a Bringing Down the Painish sort of thing.  I'm not saying YOU should do that; if this is your first experience with Donjon you should definitely use it as written for a while and develop your own opinion of it.  But I do recommend that you try to limit the number of opponents that the characters face in any encounter, simply to streamline the activity.  An example would be if your want your characters to face a horde of vogons, group the vogons and treat the groups as the individuals in the system.  In other words, each NPC stat block represents a 5 vogon Combat Poetry Team, not an individual vogon.

Also, the wiki that I saved my own game at may be a useful place to post info about your own game.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

The Dragon Master

Thanks for the advice. lol. Actually I had originally started thinking of this idea when I saw the wiki for your space-opera.

I have been looking at some of the combat mods on this board to account for the battle scenes, though for a Douglas Adams themed world... I just don't see actual combat coming up to often.

Either way, still have to finish the Donjon of Time setting.
"You get what everone gets. You get a lifetime." -Death of the Endless
The names Tony

Sorcerer Workshop, Phoenix Comicon, May 27th - 30th 2010