News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Hey I have a dice question

Started by Ron Edwards, January 19, 2007, 06:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

I bet someone's asked this before - direct me to the thread if necessary.

How many dice, and what kinds, do you come to the game with? I'm talking about the total.

Before anyone picks any dice, what's the pile look like? What sorts, how many?

Best, Ron

Nathan P.

A lot of d6s, d8s, d10s and d12s. I had to buy more d8s and d12s to run it at DexCon for 5-player tables.

The average Months In of the squad rounds to 6. For a game with 5 players (plus the GM), that equal 30 (for the players) plus 10 (for the GM). The 30 would be, if averaged to 6 per player, 7 or 8 dice of each size, and then the GM gets 10 of any size he wants. So thats on the order of 10 of each sized dice. Which can vary considerably up or down.

Having 12, or even 15, of each size (for a group of 5 players) on hand wouldn't be a bad idea.

The pile before anyone picks dice is whatever dice everyone has brought to the table. Once all dice pools have been chosen, and the GM places one dice of each size in the "out of play" pool, all of the remaining dice can be put away.

Does that answer your question, or make it less clear?
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

Yokiboy

That reply was great for me. I brought a bunch of new games to a game session where we were to discuss what game to play next, and the players gushed all over carry a game of war, but as I'm short on d12 now I know what I have to order.

TTFN,

Yoki

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

That's a great answer, Nathan, exactly what I needed to know. Given my play groups, I think having the right dice won't be any trouble at all. My concern was either limiting or over-supplying dice of whatever kind, relative to the economy of the game.

Best, Ron

Nathan P.

Great. The economy is a closed system once the game starts, as long as you have enough physical dice on hand to start everything off.

I'm looking forward to hearing how your play goes.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters