News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Sorcerer] Character Improvement Question

Started by W. Don, January 22, 2007, 09:39:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Don

Hello,

I've got a question.

That bit on character improvement (pg. 42, Sorcerer) says: "The player may check the scores for improvement in any order, but if a point is gained, no more checks are allowed."

Which does that mean?

a) You can only ever get a one point increase across all your scores;

b) You can only ever get a one point increase for each particular score.

Or is it something else I've missed completely?

It's funny how this happens to me and Sorcerer all the time: Just when I think it's all so clear, I realize I have not gone through each word in the text. This is the nth time I've read the Development section and only now do I suspect I may have read something that wasn't there (again. Wheee! :)

-- W.

angelfromanotherpin

Here's how it works.  Your character has resolved his Kicker, it's time for advancement.

You'd like to raise Lore.  Rolling Humanity vs Lore you get some victories.  Lore goes up by 1.  Advancement ends.

Alternately, rolling Humanity vs Lore, you get no victories.  Grumbling, you then pick... Will.  Rolling Humanity vs Will, you get some victories.  Will goes up by 1.  Advancement ends.  Or if that fails, you can pick one of the other remaining scores.  You might improve in a score you totally didn't expect to.

Alternately, having failed Humanity rolls vs each of Stamina, Will, Lore and Cover (in whatever order you picked), your character has no score raised.  Advancement ends.  Gentle sobbing begins.

Hope that helps.
-My real name is Jules

"Now that we know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine how many angels are dancing, at a given time, on the head of a given pin?"
"What if angels from another pin engaged them in melee combat?"

W. Don

Thank you, Jules!

I'm really beginning to get the picture, but something eludes me. Let's say:

The Kicker has been resolved... roll, roll... Will goes up. (Yay.)

Enter new Kicker... play, play... this Kicker is also resolved...

Can I check Will again and possibly raise it another point more? Can I keep on raising scores this way ad infinitum, provided I keep on resolving new Kickers ad infinitum?

— W.

angelfromanotherpin

In theory, sure, but in practice Sorcerers tend to have Humanity problems which limits their numerical growth.  The book says if this isn't the case, the GM isn't pushing the characters hard enough.
-My real name is Jules

"Now that we know how many angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine how many angels are dancing, at a given time, on the head of a given pin?"
"What if angels from another pin engaged them in melee combat?"

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

For the first question, Jules has it right!

Now for the second question - the answer is, you get to pick which score you want to attempt first (and the whole order in general given failed rolls), every time. If you want to try Will first, or if the various luck-of-the-dice keep giving you increases in Will, then so be it. It's up to you.

The bit about "Humanity needs to stay low" is partly tongue-in-cheek. In practical play, Humanity tends to go wherever the player-character takes it, and if it stays high (due to surviving checks with no loss, or by focusing on ethical actions with some success), then that's just how it goes.

Best, Ron

W. Don