News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Little Fears mentioned in Out of the Box

Started by Adam, May 31, 2002, 01:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

Don't know if anyone else noticed this, but Ken Hite did a little roundup of some of the Origins Awards categories, and had the following to say about Little Fears:

QuoteThe other two on my short list seemingly pick out each end; Little Fears is an achingly self-aware game born of the immersive, rules-light modern "game as artistic experience" era, while Adventure! is an unabashed wallow in retro pulp style, a second sequel, and an exercise in the old-fashioned White Wolf tradition of game and world design.
http://www.gamersrealm.com/store1/outofthebox.php?article_id=29">Full article

Ron Edwards

H'm,

It's interesting that Ken perceives these games to be on opposite ends of a spectrum, whereas I see them both as very solidly at one end of a spectrum.

His spectrum seems to be "light" vs. "serious," or maybe "whatever" vs. "this matters" (referring to the players' mind-sets).

My spectrum is Who Controls Play. At one end is, "GM is God and players experience God's Will," and at the other end is, "Everyone gets to contribute significant content."

On my spectrum, both Adventure! and Little Fears fall smack near the "everyone" end.

Best,
Ron

Seth L. Blumberg

Adventure! only falls near the "everyone" end of the spectrum if you're playing it Sean Demory style.  If you play it as written (i.e., with much lower rate of Inspiration gain), it's somewhere in the middle.
the gamer formerly known as Metal Fatigue