News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Idea for A Game About Alchemists Who Died But Didn't Really Die

Started by signoftheserpent, February 11, 2007, 06:28:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

signoftheserpent

Something like that.

NOTE: This idea came to me while reading Promethean; I have a general fondness for the WW style and it's associated idiosyncrasies. The writeup is as purple as it gets and is just so far the writeup of a concept; it could have legs but I'm not sure where it's going. Thus I am after feedback; does the concept stand alone? Would it work well as part of a grander setting concept (one particular idea was a modern horror/fantasy setting revolving around protagonists who share a desire for power of some kind, ostensibly mystical power such as immortality)? Or does it stink overall?

Awake into the modern world, you are a master of the most powerful alchemies. You sought to unlock the secrets of the universe and become a mortal god. Whether this was informed out of a sense of social good or a desire to dominate those of lesser will, the process was much the same.
Following the ancient writings and processes you were able to purify yourself in preparation for the ultimate attainment: immortality. Your wings were prepared ready for you to consume the very potions to unlock the final door and step into eternity. At least that was your last memory; as far as the rest of the world was concerned you were merely another mad fool whose passion consumed him, cast into the wind of history.
Until now.
Somehow you have awoken from death itself; somehow the preparations you consumed worked – after a fashion. You did not die and now you live again, powerful and strong. It seems that the alchemical processes required more than just time, they required the passing of decades even centuries. You were fortunate, your body was not disposed. But others like you did prepare, they sleep the kings of old Egypt ready likewise to awaken and step into a brave new world. Theirs – and yours – for the taking.
Not all such alchemists awake at the same time; perhaps fate tugged at the pillow of your immortality and brought you back into the world. Others still remain asleep awaiting their time. Whatever the rhyme or reason, one thing is sure you cannot go back. Further alchemical preparation will kill you (though some believe the cure for the problems of awakening lie in the 'diablerie' of those who remain in slumber).

signoftheserpent

The goal of the alchemist, the true alchemical seeker, is to become one with the Empyrean – to become a god. Immortality is but a curse. Upon taking the alchemical potion the alchemist dies the death of a shaman; his spirit travels to the higher realms seeking entry. His body traverses the Azoth, the astral mercurial ether where it must endure and be strong enough to join with the Empyrean. If the seeker is not he will either be destroyed (most likely) or reincarnate anew remembering his time beyond (and all former experiences). If he is unlucky his spirit will be caught by dark forces and transformed into an abomination.
Once reborn, the alchemist must begin his quest anew. This he can do with the support of his fellow guild members – if he is fortunate enough to have earned their attention and support (perhaps through acquiring mutually desired knowledge). However the gods jealously guard the secrets of entry into the higher worlds and often frustrate the will of the seekers below.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi Signoftheserpent,

I think this is not a really good place to start, as you are asking us to judge your fiction creation. You're likely to get all kind of answers due to peoples differing tastes. A better place to start in my opinion is does this idea move you? If so what about it do you find compelling? Do you find it compelling enough to spend more time thinking about it and concentrating on it? What I'm trying to get at is in my opinion the best games are made by a designer who is excited by the ideas. If you find the idea intriguing you might ask yourself 5 questions.

• What is my game about?
  • How does your game go about creating that?
  • How does your game reinforce or encourage that behavior?
  • What do the characters do?
  • What do the Players (and Gamemaster) do?

To me it seems like your game is about answering the question, "What is the price that is paid for immortality?"

To answer your actual question, I might read further if this was all I had been presented with.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

signoftheserpent

Quote from: Clyde L. Rhoer on February 11, 2007, 09:17:50 AM
Hi Signoftheserpent,

I think this is not a really good place to start, as you are asking us to judge your fiction creation. You're likely to get all kind of answers due to peoples differing tastes. A better place to start in my opinion is does this idea move you? If so what about it do you find compelling? Do you find it compelling enough to spend more time thinking about it and concentrating on it? What I'm trying to get at is in my opinion the best games are made by a designer who is excited by the ideas. If you find the idea intriguing you might ask yourself 5 questions.

• What is my game about?
  • How does your game go about creating that?
  • How does your game reinforce or encourage that behavior?
  • What do the characters do?
  • What do the Players (and Gamemaster) do?

To me it seems like your game is about answering the question, "What is the price that is paid for immortality?"

To answer your actual question, I might read further if this was all I had been presented with.

All i am asking is that people take a look and tell me what they think of the idea? I'm not here to write fiction (I said the text was purple). Sometimes I think people here overanalyse things.

It's just an idea.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi signoftheserpent,

My answer is it's semi-interesting. It's why I took the time to try to give you some feedback.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

joepub

Sign of the serpent, this could be really cool.

I almost see it as a LARP or con event, using the Storyteller system, rather than it's own standalone system. Either that, or a system designed for 1-3 session gaming.

Here is how I would pitch the game to a friend:
QuoteYou died after years of searching for godliness. You awoke, decades or centuries later, confused but powerful. You gained immortality in your past life, it appears.

But, immortality upon this earth isn't what you ever wanted.

You wanted immortality as a God.

So this is a single session game, where you play an immortalized alchemist seeking ascension to heaven. Is there a new equation, for godliness? Are you closer than you've ever been to your goal, or farther? Is the last step finding a way to die, or is there more to it?

You're an alchemist, and you spent your first life looking for a Cure for Death. Now, you are looking for a Cure for Life.

Do a puzzle-oriented LARP game with it.

*shrugs* That's just my take on your concept. It's interesting.