News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

OtherKind

Started by lumpley, May 31, 2002, 09:55:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiombarg

Man, that mechanic rocks my socks off. The temptation to steal it in some fashion for Faster, Better, Cheaper is strong.

One nitpick, tho: You say "If you don't discard your Color Die, then the narration must include you using the weapon (for instance) in the appropriate way." I assume this means you have to, for example, show how you're using your shortsword Artfully. This is kinda clarified in the extended example, but only kinda. I'd like it to be more explicit.

For that matter, I'm not sure I understand the distinction between Artful and Graceful...
love * Eris * RPGs  * Anime * Magick * Carroll * techno * hats * cats * Dada
Kirt "Loki" Dankmyer -- Dance, damn you, dance! -- UNSUNG IS OUT

lumpley

Blake, Ralph, xiombarg: thanks, I'll clarify those bits.

Artful means skilled, to me.  Take, oh, making pancakes.  Powerful is boldness, it's going the hell ahead and making them with Sam Adams cream stout instead of milk.  Artful is technique, it's knowing to separate the eggs and whip the whites.  Graceful is flair, it's the dash of ... hm.  Really the cream stout overpowers any dash of anything.  But say you're not using cream stout, Graceful is the dash of ground coriander.

Brutal, Flashy, Showy all are good too.  Maybe I should just open it up to the player?  The point of the adjectives is, when the GM narrates, she shouldn't get my character wrong.

Clinton: thanks for posting those links.  Curse you, browser incompatibility.  What IE are you using?  It works fine on both my 4 at home and my 5 at work.  (In fact, it's Netscape that gives me grief.)

But I don't wanna give up my divs and css...

-Vincent

Clinton R. Nixon

Quote from: lumpley
Clinton: thanks for posting those links.  Curse you, browser incompatibility.  What IE are you using?  It works fine on both my 4 at home and my 5 at work.  (In fact, it's Netscape that gives me grief.)

But I don't wanna give up my divs and css...

I know - browser incompatibility sucks my balls, to be blunt. I'm using IE 6, which it should show up fine on, but doesn't. It looks great in Mozilla and Netscape 6, though, both of which are fully CSS compliant.

<end geek talk>
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

hardcoremoose

Vincent says:
QuoteBrutal, Flashy, Showy all are good too. Maybe I should just open it up to the player? The point of the adjectives is, when the GM narrates, she shouldn't get my character wrong.

This is brilliant, simple wording.  It's exactly what I was trying to convey with Desriptions in Draconic, and sort of how I see Descriptions in other games (like Sorcerer).    

I'm a little unnerved at the overlap of ideas here.

- Scott

Ron Edwards

Scott,

You're un-nerved, hell. I'm the one who clicked on the link and saw a trollbabe starin' at me.

Best,
Ron

hardcoremoose

Ron,

Yeah, he nailed it, didn't he?

There's some might powerful energy flowin' around this place, and it's days like this that make me realize it.  A similar moment was had a couple weeks back when I first got a gander at Otherkind's "roll and spend" mechanic, which I had already playtested with my wife not a week earlier.

Anyway, I wish I had something constructive to say about the game, other than it rocks.  But fuck it, it does rock, and I'm reduced to a hapless adoring sycophant.  And while I sit here fawning over it, I'm getting absolutely nothing done on the jobs that are actually going to put money in my pocket.  So be it.

- Scott

lumpley

This may be a good time for me to mention that I've been drawing horns on my trolls since I made my game the Cheap & Cheesy back in '99 or whenever.  Truth is, maybe sometime in the past would've been a better time.

I did see the Trollbabe drawing James posted, before I drew anything for OtherKind, but what I thought was: hey, I draw horns on my trolls too, nice!

You cool with it, Ron?

-Vincent

Oh and jeez, Scott.  Fawning sycophant?

Ron Edwards

Of course it's cool, Vincent. No one has a prior claim to horned troll babes, f'God's sake.

Scott! [slap!] Get back to work on Charnel Gods, hup hup.

Best,
Ron

Bankuei

I'm liking it, and I'm also reminded of two different movies that really fit in to this; Princess Mononoke and Pompoko(Raccoon War).  Both are anime movies directed by Hayato Miyazaki, and both deal with the essence of magic, wonder, and nature.

Mononoke addresses it perfectly with Iron Town vs. the animal Gods.  Pompoko is lesser known, but involves shapechanging raccoons trying to play as many tricks and sabotage a new construction development that threatens their forest.  

On note of the descriptors, perhaps including that clarification in the game would help out with the Graceful/artistic difference.

Chris

Valamir

Quote from: Ron EdwardsOf course it's cool, Vincent. No one has a prior claim to horned troll babes, f'God's sake.

Actually Ron, I do believe TSR trademarked that idea back in '88.  Hasbro's now planning to promote it in their next "we have no creative ideas of our own" board game:  Risk- 2056 BC

Valamir

Quote from: BankueiI'm liking it, and I'm also reminded of two different movies that really fit in to this; Princess Mononoke and Pompoko(Raccoon War).  Both are anime movies directed by Hayato Miyazaki, and both deal with the essence of magic, wonder, and nature.

Mononoke is totally there.  Iron town has an Iron rating of what, 100.

Too bad that Numenous forest god has about 10,000 Radiance...which he uses all at once.

lumpley

Princess Mononoke!  I haven't seen that movie in years, but yeah.

As far as the mechanic goes, I think it's just one whose time came.  I thought of it and said to myself, damn, that's going to show up on the Forge any day now.  If I don't write it somebody else will.

If you squint, Zak scooped it in Metal Opera.

-Vincent

Andrew Martin

It looks very nice, Vincent. Thanks for sharing it with us. I'll be printing it out and sharing it with my gaming group; might be able to play test it on Monday afternoon (Queen's Birthday holiday in NZ).
Andrew Martin

Xeno

hello -- I followed a link through rpg.net (thanks, Andrew!), found Otherkind, and am liking it more and more by the second.

It's just got that . . . something, you know. That certain feel to it that says "Yeah, this is nice."

What's funky, though, is that I prefer sci-fi and all that "Iron" stuff, so I'm sitting here thinking about how to make a cyborg who's also high in Moonlight. Nothing munchkin about it, mind you -- I just think it's cool to see elements that shouldn't go together, but manage to anyway.

Oh, and I've finally come up with a good worth to described Otherkind: elegant.

Zak Arntson

Quote from: lumpleyAs far as the mechanic goes, I think it's just one whose time came.  I thought of it and said to myself, damn, that's going to show up on the Forge any day now.  If I don't write it somebody else will.

If you squint, Zak scooped it in Metal Opera.

Finally I got around to reading this thing. Otherkind is awesome. I love how the system and setting bolster each other. And what a neat setting! You've managed to take some old fantasy races and give them new meaning. You've even made the humans interesting!

I dig the four-dice stuff, and I want to try it out. After a cold response to Author-stance in my group, though, I'm going to have to wait on it.

Has anyone played it yet? How does dividing the four dice work out, handle time and understanding-wise?

And I can't see how Metal Opera is related to Otherkind's mechanic. Other than shifting Player/GM control and degrees of success (lifted partly from InSpectres!). In fact, Metal Opera was my answer to the Players being disappointed in the "everyman" aspect of InSpectres (which, incidentally, is why I think Clinton and I like InSpectres so much).