News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Magic System Ruminations

Started by Nathan Frund, February 13, 2007, 07:30:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Frund

After running Agon this past weekend, I thought that it would be great to run a D&D type game with it.  Already I think it's a better D&D than D&D for sheer ease of putting the smackdown on the bad guys and taking their stuff.

So, I've been thinking about a really simple magic system that could be overlaid onto the current system without bogging it down our being out of flavor.

My initial thoughts are to break spells down into 4 broad categories and to use them in place of the Battle Abilities for casting magic spells.

I've got 3 categories already but am having a tough time coming up with the 4th:

Beast
Element
Man

I'm also thinking that spells can be used to win victories or to imbue others with the ability to win victories.  That simple.

Thoughts?  Suggestions?

John Harper

Interesting, Nathan.

I think the easiest way to do it is to overlay some color. Change the Battle abilities to (for instance) Fire, Earth, Water, Air. Then give the sorcerer spell-like "weapons" that fit those categories. So, instead of a Javelin, the hero has "Jet of Flame" with the Javelin's stats.

The sorcerer could call for an Orate contest to speak to the shades of the dead. Or use Lore to divine a vision of the future. And so on. Same contests, different color.

This is a simple solution that is sure to keep the mechanical balance in place across the heroes. However, it may be less enticing, since playing a sorcerer won't be much different, system wise. Still, this is probably the way I would handle it.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Nathan Frund

Quote from: John Harper on February 13, 2007, 08:18:55 PM
Interesting, Nathan.

I think the easiest way to do it is to overlay some color. Change the Battle abilities to (for instance) Fire, Earth, Water, Air. Then give the sorcerer spell-like "weapons" that fit those categories. So, instead of a Javelin, the hero has "Jet of Flame" with the Javelin's stats.

The sorcerer could call for an Orate contest to speak to the shades of the dead. Or use Lore to divine a vision of the future. And so on. Same contests, different color.

This is a simple solution that is sure to keep the mechanical balance in place across the heroes. However, it may be less enticing, since playing a sorcerer won't be much different, system wise. Still, this is probably the way I would handle it.

I think I see the direction of your train of thought.  Perhaps instead of putting the "spheres" of magic in as battle abilities, make them different Heroic Traits packages.

I'm not sure if that's enough for the types who typically want to play magic users.  Now, I know this isn't in the typical realm of Agon so...  I'm going to explore both avenues and see what I come up with.

Thanks!

John Harper

I hear ya, Nathan. I'm very interested to see what you come up with.

Some friends of mine are also working on a D&D-to-Agon conversion. Maybe I can get them to come over and post their thoughts here.
Agon: An ancient Greek RPG. Prove the glory of your name!

Nathan Frund

I've only lightly thought about my post over the last couple of days.  My plan for spells is pretty straight forward.  PC "wizards" can select Monster Abilities as spells.  The cost of the spells is what they cost in the book already.

Doyce

Just a random bit of thread contribution.

If you're looking at going a 'traditional' Greek mythology type of game, but with magic allowed as an option, these are the sorts of things that magic tended to be used for, grouped loosely by type:

* Healing injuries, illness, blindness
    ** Protection from injury on the battlefield or when traveling, malicious sorcery and ghosts
    ** Fertility of people, beasts, and crops
    ** Sharpening or dulling the senses (or group it with illusions, as below)
    * Causing injuries, illness, blindness
    ** The Evil Eye (causing illness or misfortune to the object of your envy or jealousy)
    ** Keeping people from speaking against you

* Casting illusions (they seem real, but disbelieving them doesn't make them go away)
    * Causing places to seem bright and cheery or cold and gloomy, causing unseen musicians to play
    * Sharpening or dulling the senses
    * Influencing emotions, particularly love and hate

* Scrying (using a mirror, a pool of water, a pond, etc.)

* Taking the form and abilities of an animal
    * Call nearby creatures to you
    * Communicate with animals or those who don't speak your language

* Calling forth spirits of the dead, awakening corpses, and banishing the same

Sorceresses (historically/mythologically, it was always woman -- not men -- using this kind of magic) -- women with divine blood in their ancestry, which enables them to work magic -- often using magic herbs and other substances, words of power, and special equipment.

Unlike the magicians of most fantasy games, Sorceresses do NOT:
* teleport
* cast fireballs or lightning bolts
* fly (though they can change into a bird or summon a flock of them up)
* visit other planes of existence (except via an entrance to the Underworld)
* become insubstantial. 

Invisibility is something that only the gods possess, though sometimes they place it upon an object for use by mortals.

Anyway, hope that helps.
--
Doyce Testerman ~ http://random.average-bear.com
Someone gets into trouble, then get get out of it again; people love that story -- they never get tired of it.