News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Grey Ranks] Full Playtest, Session One

Started by Jason Morningstar, March 02, 2007, 08:33:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatWolf

Rawk!

One thought.  It's a little counter-intuitive, but here it is.  I'd put "Thing that You Hold Dear" and "Reputation" immediately underneath the dice section, and then have the Name, Age, etc. below it, set apart into its own section.

Here's the logic.  By doing this, you're putting all the game mechanics in one place.  After all, no one needs to consult the "Name" space during a scene.  At least, I'd hope so.  As it currently stands, you have to scan over "useless" information to consider your character's current mechanical state.

Oh, I like the names.  Here's a thought to go with those.  Treat them like the names on the Vietnam Memorial.  Don't label "Polish Surnames" or "Pseudonyms".  Just use the names.  It will be its own little memorial to those who fought (and sometimes died) in the Uprising.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Jason Morningstar

Good ideas, Seth.  Maybe I'll break up the character sheet differently - here are the constraints:

1.  The die handling stuff, where people actually put their two dice on the character sheet, needs to be visible and obvious to everyone.  I learned this at Dreamation, where we actually had a show of hands to see who had dice (and therefore scenes) left. That should be closest to other players and most visible, which is at the top of the sheet.

2.  TYHD and Reputation resources form a little 3x3 grid of check boxes, so that stuff needs to be chained together for easy reference, both by the player and the whole group.  It does make sense to put this right below the die-handling guide stuff. 

3.  Name, district, that stuff has no mechanical effect but Polish names can be tricky, so again, it needs to be easy to reference.  Also, "name" is usually right at the top of a character sheet - that's where you look for it.  I'll play around with juxtaposing the "resource" bit with the "identity" bit. 

Glad you like the names thing.  I'm imagining players needing a quick name for the neighborhood butcher (surname), or their dad (male Polish) or another guy in a rival crew (pseudonym), or a German official.  So if I mix up Janusz and Mustang, I run into that "ground truth" problem that bugs me so much.  It's a small thing but important to me. 

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.