News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Twilight Corps

Started by TwilightCorps, March 13, 2007, 10:29:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TwilightCorps

While this isn't a new idea(I've been working on it for two years now) It's new to the Forge.
It's a futuristic single origin supers game, meaning that everyone got their powers from one place. In this case, it's completely illegal scientific experimentation with technology that doesn't exist now.
The  important mechanic here is that there are no dice.Combat is resolved through playing card pools where 3-7=failure 8-King=Success A=Double Success 2=Double Failure and Joker is a redraw.
In Character Creation, players first draw a card to determine how their bodies mutate. Even numbered card means no mutation, Odd means mutation. The mutations include but are not limited to living blade, mythical beasts, data being and elemental forces. After this, the player draws four cards for the superpowers gained and then character creation is in full swing.

A character sheet is called an AEGIS grid for the following five categories
Aspect: Who the person is, what they want, where they've been
Evolution: What the character has become via the mutation
Gifts: The powers that a character has and the levels selected
Identity: The quirks that make the character who he is
Savvy: The fields of expertise that the character had either before or after the transformation

I am almost done with it, in that I need to create about fifty more characters and pay for artwork prior to publishing.
I was pointed to the Forge by Evil Hat, who told me that while they're not accepting submissions, the Forge is a good place to get input.

Mcrow

Just so I can give you better feedback I'll ask you the big three:

1.) What is your game about?

2.) What do the characters do?

3.) What do the players (including the GM if there is one) do?

Also, what specifically are you looking for input on?

TwilightCorps

Well let's see: My game is about superhumans as a new presence on earth. There's typical superhero/supervillain action but there's also subtones about certain characters trying to prevent superhumans from joining the military or competing in athletic events due to unfair advantage. When some of these supers can rearrange reality just by speaking, that's a valid concern. In order to prevent "Civil War" there is an agency where supers can register their identities if they wish. In cases where metahumans cause damage, the government agency handles all the legal matters.

The characters are trying to make a name for themselves in this world, even if evil. The characters have been living in this one city for the two years since the incident that gave them powers, and the people of the city take superhuman action as a part of everyday life. It's people from outside the city who are terrified of the phenomenal power

The Players are the ones who play these government sponsored heroes or wandering villains. They have three goals: Make a legend out of their exploits, live normal lives, and prevent the incident from happening again. The first and last elements are ideas that most of the heroes and villains share.
The GM is both the creator and opposing force. He lays down the situations the characters get into, handles combat from his own deck of cards.

Specifically, I'm looking for input on powers, identity flaws and skills I might have missed. I'll try to put the rules I have available up for download soon and I'll take any input that I feel can improve the quality of the game.

Mcrow

excellent!
Quote from: TwilightCorps on March 13, 2007, 12:35:12 PM
Well let's see: My game is about superhumans as a new presence on earth. There's typical superhero/supervillain action but there's also subtones about certain characters trying to prevent superhumans from joining the military or competing in athletic events due to unfair advantage. When some of these supers can rearrange reality just by speaking, that's a valid concern. In order to prevent "Civil War" there is an agency where supers can register their identities if they wish. In cases where metahumans cause damage, the government agency handles all the legal matters.

So, it sounds to me that there is a "big brother watching" aspect to the game. Some metahumans feel the need to fight "the man" and while generally accepted into the culture they still have some sort of stigma. Do I have that correct?
The characters are trying to make a name for themselves in this world, even if evil. The characters have been living in this one city for the two years since the incident that gave them powers, and the people of the city take superhuman action as a part of everyday life. It's people from outside the city who are terrified of the phenomenal power
Why are characters trying to make a name for themselves? This sure seems to be something that should be represented mechanically .
The Players are the ones who play these government sponsored heroes or wandering villains. They have three goals: Make a legend out of their exploits, live normal lives, and prevent the incident from happening again. The first and last elements are ideas that most of the heroes and villains share.
The GM is both the creator and opposing force. He lays down the situations the characters get into, handles combat from his own deck of cards.
What do you mean by live a normal life? Not to have the powers, find a cure for them, or just live in peace lieve the average joe?
Specifically, I'm looking for input on powers, identity flaws and skills I might have missed. I'll try to put the rules I have available up for download soon and I'll take any input that I feel can improve the quality of the game.
Yeah, I think the basic rules would be needed to comment on power, flaws.. ect.
I'll keep checking back.

TwilightCorps

You've got it on all of them. Registered heroes need to report everything they do to the govenrment agency in order to be covered in case of emergency or legal injuctions.
Also, there's a secondary government sponsored  group of supers roaming the town. Union 145 is a group who uses their powers to restore the city to the condition it was in prior to the superbrawls. Thus even if "Sally Citizen" has her tenement destroyed by a laser blast, by the time she reports it, the damage has been undone.

Here's the download link for the rules:
http://www.wikiupload.com/download_page.php?id=102363

Mcrow

hhhmmm......... your link doesn't seem to work.