News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Dead of Night] How best to make a pdf version?

Started by andrew_kenrick, March 16, 2007, 06:27:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrew_kenrick

So, ever since Dead of Night came out there have been requests for a pdf version of it. But I've long put off the idea for the simple reason that I've no idea how to go about it.

Mainly, this is due to it being an odd size, to say the least. I don't think this will be much of an issue for viewing on screen - you'd just need to set it up to display pages side by side and it'd look fine. But it could cause issues when people come to print their own copies off.

So how best to do it? Do I upload it as is (with errata and bookmarks added in), along with a print version which has the pages as spreads.

Or do I go back to square one and lay it out again all over in a more suitable format/size?

What is the best way of handling this? If you were a customer, what would you want?
Andrew Kenrick
www.steampowerpublishing.com
Dead of Night - a pocket sized game of b-movie and slasher horror

iago

With some games, I do a combo: I provide a zipfile with a PDF version that has the pages as "single-page" spreads -- the "screen version" -- as well as the as-is PDF splitting things up into their usual page divisions.  I dunno if folks actually appreciate it all that much, but it makes me feel better at least, and it's no harder than a few extra minutes for the second PDF export.

I'm sure folks would appreciate the errata to get folded into the PDF version rather than having to reference a separate document for it, but I'd say only go so far on that as to not mess with the text flows.  Once the text starts flowing differently, there may be skew between the PDF and print version that could confuse people trying to share references to the book...