Home
Help
Login
Register
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 04:03:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.
Search:     Advanced search
275647 Posts in 27717 Topics by 4283 Members Latest Member: - otto Most online today: 49 - most online ever: 429 (November 03, 2007, 04:35:43 AM)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: My girlfriend's back, and she wants to play Spirit of Hogwarts for her birthday  (Read 1035 times)
ElliottBelser MKII

« on: March 11, 2007, 09:13:28 AM »

johnwedd

« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 02:23:26 PM »

my suggestion would be to look into how the board games and any other games "CCGs, rpgs, etc etc" are made. then makeing a call.

TroyLovesRPG

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:18:32 PM »

Hello,
It sounds like you will have a lot of fun. Since the world of Harry Potter, the characters and style are well-defined, you should have no problem creating the proper atmosphere for the game. Check out wikipedia.org http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_potter as your resource if you don't have an official one.

From a few passages I've read in The Philosopher's Stone, the stories are definitely mysteries with obvious and subtle clues. So, creating an adventure should be quite easy. The one great thing about the setting is the use of structure with classes, teacher presence and scheduled activities. The students have to juggle the daily academic load, dodge authority and figure out the mystery. I would think timing is everything. Also, the point system that determines who wins the House Cup could be very useful in letting the players know if they're on track.

You could have the in-game date of the story climax fall on Hermione Granger's birthday, September 19. I assume you'll play the game on your girlfriend's birthday, too. You could buy small curious gifts for your girlfriend that you reveal during the game. The gifts are also clues or important props for the game, too. Of course, provide mystery cupcakes with unique effects for each player.

I'm not familiar with the system you've selected; however, thanks for NOT using D&D. Immediately, I thought of Ars Magica (the pdf is free http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=774&) because of its unique magic system and character creation.  A little tweaking and name-changing would make it work perfectly.

Troy
ElliottBelser MKII

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 02:35:38 PM »

Thank you!

The system I'm using, FATE, is the system from Spirit of the Century.  Just because Aspects - character traits you can create, destroy, invoke and compel action from - are such useful tools.
Ron Edwards
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 02:28:38 PM »

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, this isn't a topic for the Forge. Tell you what, though - when you do play, then post all about it in the Actual Play forum.

No more replies to this thread, please.

Best, Ron
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to: