News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Ficlets!

Started by Robotech_Master, March 22, 2007, 02:36:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robotech_Master

I've recently started writing on ficlets.com. You get to write stories in 64-to-1024-character chunks ("ficlets"), then someone else gets to write a follow-up sequel or prequel chunk. And multiple people can write entirely different sequels if they like.

It seems a lot like Universalis in some ways. Instead of coins limiting your contribution, you are limited by the 1024 character limit—and if you can't do the "objection" mechanic, or "interrupt," you can choose to fork the story in a different direction than the one you didn't like.

Mike Holmes

And whether or not your challenge "wins" is basically whether or not anyone posts to your fork, or the other fork. Interesting.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Robotech_Master

Of course, there are so many people posting original ficlets that it can sometimes be hard to get any replies at all; the only really long chains I've been a part of have involved finding one other writer who enjoys alternating with me.

(And boy, is it a challenge. Every time I make up my mind in what direction I'm going to take the story, his next bit throws a total monkeywrench into it and I have to rethink. :)

Mike Holmes

Lack of social context of players, and tennets.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.