News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Seeking someone good with d20 rules, stats, and skill making.

Started by USRPG, February 28, 2007, 08:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

USRPG

To keep this post rather interesting, I will forgo a lengthy "historic introduction" of who I am and just skip straight to the meat and potatoes.

I am a creative writer. I enjoy – and pardon me for tooting my own horn – seem especially gifted in creating fictional worlds in great detail. Thus it was not difficult for me to venture into the role playing niche and begin producing material aimed towards it. However, while I have experience in playing RPG's, I am a terrible framer of rules. As a "scenario writer" I am only limited by my imagination and desire to avoid the cliché. As a "ruleset writer" I must abide by a moderated standard to make everything enjoyable and fair when playing. This is where I fail.

I'm hoping to contact an individual who thinks of themselves as a "great" rule setter – especially of the d20 system in general (be it Modern or D&D). Someone who can take a concept – be it a character class, technological (or magical) device, or deadly encounter creature - and apply how the d20 system would stat such a thing. Naturally, I understand how time consuming and intellectually challenging such a thing can be, and monetary compensation for the work shall be provided... although I must admit out front that I am only an individual, not a company, so the payout would not be incredibly great.

More or less, I am seeking a "partner" who has a strong desire to aid in what I believe is an incredible fictional world, into the production of an actual d20 game worthy of commercial status. If fame and money come from the endeavor, great – but the real goal is simply to see the work finished.

As for the work in question, here is short introductive premise:

QuoteLong ago, the war between Heaven and Hell ended, and in a display of tremendous freewill, humanity - not celestial - achieved victory. Yet to succeed, the descendants of Adam and Eve paid the ultimate price: abandonment by God. So began the death of Creation.

The Universe is shattering. Between the fragments is absolute oblivion, and within the shards lies what little remains of existence. In final desperation humanity has enacted the Exodus Initiative, a precarious plan to prolong survival until the cosmos completely ceases to exist. Yet for all its glory and accomplishments, the effort is doomed to fail.

There was nothing before the Lord; there will be nothing after Him.

The "project" is divided into two titles: Final Testament and Final Covenant. Both chronicle the events of a dying Creation and those who refuse to accept an inevitable end. The player characters are fundamental in determining the uncertain future of humanity, unearthing unimaginable secrets and horrifying perils to preserve what little of existence remains.

Final Testament focuses on a "science and technology" axis, where as Final Covenant is the "myth and magic" axis. However both take place in the same "universe" – although not always in direct contact – so what might be magic in one setting, is merely technology to the other, and vice versa. Although that does not mean everything can be explain from either prospective: such as how angels continue their existence without the presence of God.

Of the two works, Final Testament is the most complete, and thus "stating and skilling" will begin on it first. But I would prefer that the same person who does Testament, can also work on Covenant to maintain standards between them.

On a religious sensitivity note: both projects make liberal use of Catholic, Christian, Judaic, and Islamic literature. While nothing is "overall" insulting to these religions, there are some in-game elements where an institution or individual would not see God and Creation in a favorable light. Regardless, God is not a direct enemy that can be fought or challenged, given that He is no longer present.

USRPG

Ah... the ever hated double post (since editing is disabled):

I do not want to make it seem I have not made any "direct rules material" for either title: indeed I have and endless number of notations and documents of my attempts (mostly in d20... but other systems as well). However as I mentioned before, I am not as knowledgeable and comfortable as I would like to be, and thus seeking someone who is. In essence, I am a person who takes more interest in the fluff of an RPG, rather than the actual mechanics of it... although I am no stranger to the mechanics either.

Mr B Rabbit

Well, I have a lot of free time, a fair bit of knowledge about D20, 3.5 and d20 modern as well as a handful of settings, and a huge interest in gaming. I'd be more than happy to help you out, and I'm not fussed about a financial reward in any way.

James