News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Since my other game didn't pan out...

Started by Starblade, April 02, 2007, 06:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starblade

I've been thinking of a game system which potentially incorporates three levels. It doesn't have a theme yet, but right now here are the elements:

0. A three tiered combat system which allows for flexibility in how many players can play and how complex the game is. From simplest to most complex is: the "unit" level where units fight it out against eachother by drawing cards, the "battlefield" level where unit position is key and battle between two units is initiated, and the "globe" level where players can gain resources and develop their respective armies.
1. A system in which turns are not taken until initiative has been decided, and where circumstances deal multiple effects to each player. For example, on the "unit" level the two players take cards with numbers on them or roll dice to see who has the initiative. A higher draw/roll favors one party while a lower draw/roll favors another party. In this way there is only one draw/roll to figure out who has the initiative. As for multiple effects, let's say you roll a dice or draw a card. Like the initiative deciding process, the roll/draw will have one effect on one player and the complimentary effect on the other player. Both the roll/draw and the individual "merit" of each player must be taken into account.
2. The "battlefield" level is like a chess board, whereas the "globe" level is like a risk board. On the chess board units are placed and each player knows what the other player is doing. There is no fog of war. However, each player moves one piece simultaneously, and only when there is conflict will the two players enter "unit" mode. On the risk board, however, you can't move just anywhere. There are areas completely controlled by each player, and areas that aren't completely controlled by one player or another, such as disputed zones.
3. Each unit has features, each battlefield has features, and each globe has features. The features of the units are its stats, the features of the battlefield is its geometry, and the features of the globe are its resources. I can't go any further than that, however. It's not that I'm afraid of anyone stealing my ideas. Rather, it's that I simply haven't developed it beyond this point. :P

I hope I haven't been too vague. I have looked everywhere for someone who can help me offline, but to no avail. This place seemed like a sure bet, so I decided to come here!

joepub

QuoteA system in which turns are not taken until initiative has been decided, and where circumstances deal multiple effects to each player. For example, on the "unit" level the two players take cards with numbers on them or roll dice to see who has the initiative. A higher draw/roll favors one party while a lower draw/roll favors another party. In this way there is only one draw/roll to figure out who has the initiative. As for multiple effects, let's say you roll a dice or draw a card. Like the initiative deciding process, the roll/draw will have one effect on one player and the complimentary effect on the other player. Both the roll/draw and the individual "merit" of each player must be taken into account.

Hey, Starblade.

I'm currently working on something called Polarpunk right now, which is currently more a combat engine than a complete game.

There are two resources you can spend to boost actions in a combat turn: Quick Bonus and Deadly Bonus.

Maneovering across the board and taking cover costs Quick Bonus, whereas combat boosts cost Deadly Bonus.

The turn is divided into two sections: Vantage (initiative phase, everyone does simultaneously) and Action (movement and action phase, everyone does one at a time).

For the Vantage phase, you roll 2 dice. Your higher determines initiative order. Then, pick one of your two dice, and subtract your Quick Threshold from it. The number remaining is how many Quick Bonus you have. Take your other die, and subtract your Deadly Threshold from it. The number remaining is how many Deadly Bonus you have.

So Vantage determines who's going first and what resources everyone will have.