News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Raked Over The Coals

Started by LandonSuffered, April 03, 2007, 03:22:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LandonSuffered

Man...I just recommended your game Donjon to a young (age 13) friend of mine, based entirely on what he wanted to play (a stripped-down, narrative D&D) and on the fabulous reviews I've read on-line for it. He purchased it from rpgnow and I promptly got a call from his mother regarding the Kill Puppies For Satan ad that printed up with the pdf.  Needless to say, she was not pleased.

I know some games carry Mature warning labels, and after reviewing the Donjon pdf, I certainly wouldn't stick it in the same category as Sorcerer, for example. But the foul language in the reviews and exerpts of the ad were a fairly nasty surprise.  The concerned parent thought the page might have been some sort of virus embedded in the file! 

Anyway...some type of warning might have been nice....
Jonathan

oliof

Hi Jonathan,
for future recommendations, have the kids check out the free, text-only version at Clinton's site

Clinton R. Nixon

Jonathan,

I'm not going to get into an argument about the appropriateness of the ad or what my responsibilities to an audience are vs. your responsibilities as a mentor to a specific person, but I am regretful that you had this bad experience.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Hans

Harald (and Clinton as moderator, I guess), that link to the text-only version seems to be broken.
* Want to know what your fair share of paying to feed the hungry is? http://www3.sympatico.ca/hans_messersmith/World_Hunger_Fair_Share_Number.htm
* Want to know what games I like? http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/skalchemist

Moreno R.

Now the creative commons version of Clinton's games are in this wiky page.

The direct link to the Donjon page is here
Ciao,
Moreno.

(Excuse my errors, English is not my native language. I'm Italian.)

LandonSuffered

Clinton --

No need for arguments. I just wanted you to be aware of the incident.  I am totally cognizant of my responsibility (and in this case, my error) in recommending a game I had not yet purchased/perused.  Fortunately, the parent was doing her job as a parent, checking out her kid's internet download. 
Jonathan