News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Looking for advice on a mecha conversion to SotC/FATE 3.0

Started by Nathan Frund, March 23, 2007, 10:07:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan Frund

I'm popping in for a bit of advice.  I'm working on a mecha conversion to SotC/FATE 3.0 and I've got a few design questions.

But first, here's what I've got so far:

Mecha have skills that are combined with those of the pilot.

Mecha Skills

• Alertness (Passive Sensors)
  • Athletics
  • Endurance
  • Fists
  • Guns
  • Investigation (Active Sensors)
  • Might

My quandry now is, where should the "means" be on the adjective list?  I'm thinking Good +3 and deviate there for the strengths and weaknesses for the particular mecha design.  I'm also thinking that to really push a Mecha to the edge of the envelope, the pilot would have to resort to stunts.

Mecha also provide a bonus pool of Fate Points equal to their minion rating x2.

I've got a few more notes but this is where I'm hung up right now.

Any advice from long time FATEers would be greatly appreciated.

sabbatregent

Eissenman, over at RPG.net is working on a similar thing, you might wish to contact him.

Trying to resume some of the things discussed over there:

• Mechas should have their own 'character' sheet.
    Mechas diverge wildly in the way you pilot them: Traditional mechas skill could be restricted by the pilot skill of it's controller. 'Power suit' mechas should just enhance some of the wearer skills (basically, they're big gadgets with many enhancements).
    Additionally, I proposed to use a limited fate point mechanic for the mecha, to represent it's fuel capacity. Once the FP run out, you're out of fuel.

I don't see why you wouldn't default the mean to mediocre. Could you explain the reasons?

TSOY in Spanish: La sombra del ayer

Nathan Frund

I'm Eisenmann!  (Always wanted to say that in a superhero sort of way) :)

Yea, I'm planning on the Mecha having their own 'character' sheet.

I'm thinking about starting the mecha's skills at Good (+3) because I'm thinking that a pilot's Mecha piloting skill would be combined with the mecha's Athletics for maneuvers and what-not.  The reason why I'm thinking this direction is because I'm basing most of it off of Robotech where Mecha are often just as nimble if not more so than their pilots.  Direction and maneuver is fine-tuned by the pilots wearing "thinking cap" helmets.  The story doesn't present the mecha as responding like a backhoe to its operator but more of a natural extension.

With that in mind, I think mecha should be somewhat "good" at what they do and be limited by the pilot or enhanced by the pilot.

So, if a mecha's Athletics skill is Good (+3) and the pilot's piloting skill is Superb (+5), the resulting skill "rank" would be Great (+4).

I'm at the tinkering stage so I'm not commited to anything so I'm more than willing to accept good advice.

Thanks!