News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[Polaris] Thinking of Year Zero setting... madness?

Started by TomTitTot, April 22, 2007, 09:23:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomTitTot

I posted this elsewhere, in a slightly different format...

--------------

Yes, I know this is a strange idea.

I finished reading Polaris a few days ago, and have been foolishly trying to read more RPG materials since. I think I just need some cool down time, because in concept and mood, Polaris is a lot of what I've been looking for from an RPG for the last twelve or so years. I have yet to play it, however, but will be doing so this summer when I visit my hometown in the US.

Anyway, the new Nine Inch Nails album Year Zero has been getting a lot of play in my house as of late, along with much discussion about the related ARG.

I got to thinking about the way that the ARG has been telling the story through little pieces of personal narrative, how effective that format seems to be for the kind of story it is telling, and how this relates to Polaris. I also think, rather like having the Protagonists encounter the Solaris Knight in Polaris' default setting, that after a progression the Protagonists encounter The Presence, fulfilling a similar role.

Anyway, this is all just idle fancy, but my partner seemed very enthused about the idea, suggesting I post it (and she never does that) so I just thought I'd throw this out there and see what people think.

Currently considering what the ritual phrases could be changed to... lyrics from the album? That could work. Also the Zeal / Weariness rating will have to be altered somehow. Maybe the Protaganists are all coming off of Parepin for a variety of reasons, and that's the progression from (Mind clouded and comforted by Parepin) to something else. Numbness - - - - > ?

Thanks for reading my nonsense, anyway.