News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2007] Revving the motor

Started by Ron Edwards, April 26, 2007, 07:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Thanks, Ron.  I've dropped you an email (assuming the email address associated with the little envelope icon is the way to go).

Any comments on my first "Am I a bad booth citizen" question?

Ron Edwards

Whoops, forgot that part, mainly because I'm not sure I can answer it. I don't think I have any claim over what you should or shouldn't tell your friends, and even less to have any opinions about how they manage their jobs. I can only say, make your decisions about arriving to the best personal standards you hold for yourself, according to your own priorities. But then I start sounding like someone's dad and should stop about then.

Best, Ron

iago

Cool.  I guess I was mainly asking, "If I end up showing up too late to help with some of the set-up, am I going to really bum out some people who I don't want to bum out?"  But it's not worth eating up valuable thread real estate spinning on my personal insecurities. :)

Justin D. Jacobson

Quote from: iago on April 30, 2007, 10:00:45 PM
Cool.  I guess I was mainly asking, "If I end up showing up too late to help with some of the set-up, am I going to really bum out some people who I don't want to bum out?"  But it's not worth eating up valuable thread real estate spinning on my personal insecurities. :)
I don't want to speak for Ron, but if it's anything like last year (and I know in many ways it will not be) there will be more than enough people and no one will be bummed if you don't get there super early.
Facing off against Captain Ahab, Dr. Fu Manchu, and Prof. Moriarty? Sure!

Passages - Victorian era, literary-based high adventure!

Ron Edwards

Hiya,

Forgot a couple things: the Paypal address isn't secret, it's just the same as my usual email. Also, the deadline for sign-up is June 1, so this is now decision time for everyone.

Best, Ron

iago

Ron - We're one week into it.  How are things looking?  I'm curious and hoping for a status update, if possible...

Thanks!
Fred

Ron Edwards

Hello,

We have lots of $200 buy-ins, although more are always welcome.

We need more $100 buy-ins, which is, after all, the purpose of the booth.

At the moment, I suspect that some people are trapped between (a) not quite getting the point of Paul's Ashcan project and (b) wondering whether they are done enough to be acceptable at the Forge booth. And there's one more thing which I'll get to in a minute.

So I want to lay out a few things about the Forge booth.

1. There is no vetting. If you sign up with an independently-published role-playing game, and if you haven't shown yourself to be personally objectionable in some way in the past (and probably even if you have), then you're in. If you aren't sure whether you really have an ashcan or whatever, then contact me by email and I'll probably reassure you. You do not have to pass any sort of interview or test in order to participate.

2. All priorities point toward the $100, first-time people. Your games are the reason I do this. The IPR store is there, but that staff is similarly committed to the same vision and the first-time games typically get privileged shelf position or counter-top advertising. I routinely play and demo first-time games through the entire Thursday and Friday exhibitor hours.

3. (this is for everyone) It's important to me that the booth always includes people who aren't right here in the thick of things at the Forge all the time. So far, I've been really happy with the fact that the booth has never been a clique, in terms of entry or knowledge or availability. Please look around - on the internet, or otherwise - for people who publish independent games and who might like to have some break-in time at GenCon through the booth. I suggest not hard-selling recruiting, but do check in with people and direct them here if they're interested.

Best, Ron