News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2007] Revving the motor

Started by Ron Edwards, April 26, 2007, 07:52:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Yes, Virginia, there will be a 2007 Forge booth at GenCon.

It's been a while since I posted to announce the new design and plans for the booth. What with everyone leapin' around to band together in new booths, and with all this ashcanny discussion finally generating light instead of heat, I'd like to make sure that if you do want to present your game at the Forge booth and to participate there in our all-round fine time of demo games and general fun, that you don't get distracted by everything else.

I'm only going to get a little whiny about this one time ... see, the Forge booth costs a lot of money to get into place. If it doesn't get enough $100 buy-ins, and particularly if it doesn't get enough $200 buy-ins from people who've been there before (which now means last year only), then hey - it has to get smaller, or even to get discontinued. Although it's primarily my doing that many people are now scattered hither and yon to other booths and projects, it's also my place to say - hey! listen! if you are eligible, then we need you.

I figured I'd start the sign-ups quite soon, perhaps next Monday, and let them run until June 1, the usual deadline. For those who aren't familiar with the rules, it goes like this:

1. You don't buy a GenCon badge
2. You pay me the cost of one exhibitor badge (I always forget how much this is and they always change it, so I'll look it up) + $100, if it's your first time
2'. You pay me the cost of one exhibitor badge and $200 if it's your second time
2''. More than one person per company is OK as long as everyone is a primary creator and owner of the work (no lame-ass hangers-on, best friends, bewildered spouses, et cetera)
3. At the con, we all bust our asses like mad, although the minimum = start/end each day + 1/2 a day, and helping set up Wednesday too; the main jobs are running demos and being bloody-well nice to con-goers and probably clearing out our layabout Forge buddies who always want to come by, sling a hammock, and move in

The booth will include 1/4-1/3 bookstore, courtesy of IPR, and about 2/3-3/4 demo tables, all jumpin' madly.

Questions? Concerns? Ifs, ands, or buts?

Best, Ron

Troy_Costisick

Heya Ron,

Quote from: Ron Edwards on April 26, 2007, 07:52:03 PM
2''. More than one person per company is OK as long as everyone is a primary creator and owner of the work (no lame-ass hangers-on, best friends, bewildered spouses, et cetera)

Would this exclude playtesters who are coming to A) help demo the game they playtested and B) learn other people's demos so they can pimp everyone's games at the booth?

Peace,

-Troy

Ron Edwards

Hi Troy,

Could you rephrase that in some way? I really don't understand the question. I'm talking about people who can sign up with the booth because they have a game they published.

Best, Ron

Troy_Costisick

Quote from: Ron Edwards on April 26, 2007, 08:56:22 PM
Could you rephrase that in some way? I really don't understand the question. I'm talking about people who can sign up with the booth because they have a game they published.

Sure.  I'm asking if I can get an extra exhibitor badge for a guy who has helped me to playtest my games.  I'm guessing the answer is "No."  I just want to make sure so I can tell him to get his own attendee badge through GenCon. :)

Peace,

-Troy

Ron Edwards

Ah. You're right, the answer is "no." He's certainly welcome to spend any time he'd like at the booth, playin' and havin' fun.

Best, Ron

Steve Segedy

Thanks for posting this, Ron.  Bully Pulpit Games is ready to sign up whenever you are.  Last year at the Forge booth was a great experience for us, and we're ready to roll up our sleeves and jump in for 2007.

One question- I had talked with Brennan about working in the retail space this year.  In that case, should I register for my exhibitor badge through him or through you?
The Shab-al-Hiri Roach and Grey Ranks, available now at IPR!

Ron Edwards

Hi Steve,

Unless Brennan tells me otherwise privately, then you should sign up through me.

I'm figuring Monday will be the day.

Best, Ron

Brennan Taylor

If you want to help work the retail space, contact me directly please. btaylor [at] indiepressrevolution.com.

Gregor Hutton

For info: I get into Indy airport at just before 5 pm on the Wednesday. So I'll head to the convention centre as soon as I can when I land (I'm assuming that Malcolm will have checked into the hotel room we're sharing earlier in the day - so getting to the hotel isn't a priority for me). I'll happily help with any set-up that still needs done then.

My question is: do we have a plan for start and end time of set-up on the Wednesday?

Ta!
Gregor

Brennan Taylor

Set-up will begin Wednesday, but will be dependent on arrival times. Shelving will be coming by car, and stock will be shipped. The stock should arrive before the shelving, and I will be there Wednesday afternoon to start supervising set-up. Extra hands are welcome, but too many people can get crazy. I will send people off if they are not needed.

btrc

For reference, I'll be arriving Wednesday evening with the padded flooring.

Greg Porter
BTRC guy

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

Quick question,  how will payouts work this year?  Last year I read there were some problems with daily cash-outs.  Just curious.  It won't affect me buying in one way or the other.

Peace,

-Troy

Ron Edwards

The problems with cashouts were specifically due to one of the highest-earning primary sponsors claiming his full payout in cash, leaving a lot of the smaller earners to wait for accounting and eventual processing of check and credit card payments.

That's not happening again. It got past my radar last year, but if it hadn't, and definitely in the future, the newcomers get cashed out first, then the $200 buy-ins, and if anyone has to wait, it's the primaries, and then if any one person has to wait (as has happened in the past), it will be me.

Best, Ron

iago

Since I'm getting to GenCon by carpool from Maryland, my arrival time may be somewhat variable.  I'll also have to check my records; I honestly can't remember if I claimed a badge already back when the need to get a hotel reservation happening trumped my patience in waiting for details on how that was supposed to work out.  (But honestly if that means I suck down an extra GenCon badge cost, I can handle that; so don't fret on that front.)

So my questions are:

- Am I a bad booth citizen by not insisting that everyone in the carpool max out on the number of days they take off from work in order to make sure I get to the convention as early on Wednesday as possible?

- I had talked with you about whether or not Evil Hat counted as a first-year or second-year presence, since we didn't buy into the booth last year but did enjoy some sales of Don't Rest Your Head thanks to IPR's presence.  So which should I budget for, +$100 or +$200? (I'm happy for your answer to be "+$200" if it means the Forge booth is more solvent; but this will be my first year spending full time at the booth, since last year I was merely a hangers-on)

Evil Hat will be looking to get badges for: Leonard Balsera; Rob Donoghue; Fred Hicks. (All three are credited as the core authors of Spirit of the Century, as our indication of eligibility.)  I believe you and I hashed this bit out already in PM a few months back. :)  I'll make sure to say as much once the sign-up thread manifests.

Ron Edwards

Hi guys,

Remember, there's no sign-up thread, it's emailing me, as indicated above. That's email, not private message here at the Forge.

WHICH STARTS NOW. Let's see it begin!

Important information: badges are $65. So if you're new, it's $100 base cost plus $65 per person, which I strongly urge be kept down to one. Contact me first to make sure, then use Paypal for the bucks.

Fred, Evil Hat's got a $200 base, and all three folks are welcome, you're remembering that right.

Best, Ron