News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

POD Pricing: Ethical Issues?

Started by David Artman, April 23, 2007, 12:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Artman

Damned Internal Server errors....

Hi, all;

This one's for the POD publishers and ethics pundits in general....

I am hoping to release the full GLASS rules via POD ("shot GLASS" will be a rule-only player book that's a free PDF).

I am considering one of the following pricing strategies, to encourage game stores to buy books to resell them:
* Set the POD price at ~20% less than the MSRP printed on the book (and in the bar code, if I include one)--"wholesale via POD".
* Offer a POD price for 5 or more that is ~20% less than the single copy POD price--"bulk discount via POD".

My questions are, basically:
1) Are either of those option even possible with POD providers; will they do it?
2) Is there any ethical issue with either method (really more concerned about the first one; bulk discounts are fairly common and accepted).

Thanks;
David
Designer - GLASS, Icehouse Games
Editor - Perfect, Passages

xenopulse

Hi David,

Usually POD places let you set any price you want for your game, but few let you differentiate between regular customers and retailers.  Places like Lulu have discounts for 26+ copies, but no retailer is going to order that many.  What you can do is set up a separate listing for it that's direct access only (cannot be found through searching) and give the direct access code to retailers. That means you'll have to do a bunch of work by hand, though.  I also wouldn't give them a minimum order; some of them might want to try one or two copies first, and you don't want to discourage that. Anytime you've got your indie book on a retail shelf is added exposure.

I don't see an ethical issue at all.  Most retailers will expect more than 20% off, though. 40-50% are pretty standard.

Eero Tuovinen

I do a small hobby retail, and I deal with POD publishers routinely. The way we do it is that I pay the designer, and he orders the books from the POD printer and gives them the mailing address to me. So I don't have to deal with the printer at all, and nobody has to worry about their automated logistical system.

Man, this reminds me: I'll have to get some more Covenant, I'm all out. Good of you to bring this up.
Blogging at Game Design is about Structure.
Publishing Zombie Cinema and Solar System at Arkenstone Publishing.